QUESTIONS?QUESTIONS?QUESTIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Can someone help me please I wanted to know if there is something that I could do to help prevent my tortoises from their beginning pyramiding.

image-2487017637.png

Also I was wondering if I could put my tortoises outside 24/7 starting in the next 2 months. Their ABOUT 10 months old that's what the pet store told me. Please answer back ASAP thanks 😊

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Also, looking at the pic you need to increase humidity. Change the substrate to moss, soil and leaflitter or a mulch.

REDfoots said:
Florida saint Petersburg
OK, I'm UK so have a limited knowledge of US climates however I imagine Florida is perfect as you also have quite high humidity?? What does it drop down to at night?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You will want temps 65 at night minimum....and even that is pushing it. Damp+cold = Instant R.I for Redfoots...

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Florida's humidity is very high in the summer (end of may - beginning of September) and in the winter its fairly low ( end of October - mid March). It drops down in the winter to about 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7.2 degrees Celsius ) and in the summer it drops down to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (23.89 degrees Celsius ).

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
You for sure want to be spraying down your cypress mulch more, or switching to less wattage overhead to slow the drying out.
Maybe put a layer of peat under your cypress to boost humidity but spray them down more for sure.
They have started to pyramid already so you have to boost it up from what you have been doing.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Come summer, if you build a very well-enclosed enclosure, you can keep them outside full time...Not now. The temps are still dropping to low at night.
The pyramiding...Spray down cypress mulch as much as possible, soak them everyday, keep the humidity 85-90%, and it should stop.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
OK thank you everyone that answered my questions they were very help full. There should be more questions soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.