Radiant Heat Thermostat Sensor Placement

digibond

Location (City and/or State)
Maui
I have an InkBird ITC-306T temperature controller for radiant heat panel to put inside my Sulcata's house. Where would you put the sensor? I'm assuming down at the tortoise level away from the flap covered door, but just want to double check before I pull off the roof and do all the work.

FYI ... Maui so it doesn't get bitter cold here, 50F on the coldest nights in Jan/Feb.

Sorry if this has been answered. I searched InkBird and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Dale

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Wait until others chime in, but I would put it at tort height close to the flap door.

You want the coldest place in the house to not fall below your desired minimum. So the measurement must be made at the coldest place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have an InkBird ITC-306T temperature controller for radiant heat panel to put inside my Sulcata's house. Where would you put the sensor? I'm assuming down at the tortoise level away from the flap covered door, but just want to double check before I pull off the roof and do all the work.

FYI ... Maui so it doesn't get bitter cold here, 50F on the coldest nights in Jan/Feb.

Sorry if this has been answered. I searched InkBird and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Dale
Down low, but still out of tortoise reach, and far away from all heat sources.

An RHP might not be able to keep it warm enough on a 50-60 degree night. They should not drop below 80. I'd recommend a Kane heat mat in addition to the RHP. That combo works great, and if temps are warm enough, the thermostat will keep both of them off.

digibond

Maui
Down low, but still out of tortoise reach, and far away from all heat sources.

An RHP might not be able to keep it warm enough on a 50-60 degree night. They should not drop below 80. I'd recommend a Kane heat mat in addition to the RHP. That combo works great, and if temps are warm enough, the thermostat will keep both of them off.

Thanks Tom and Karen.

FYI, I do have a Kane heat mat already. They are what people seem to use here. Just that for adults down at sea level, although I recognize this wouldn't always meet your 80 guidance. We are up at 3000 feet so it gets colder here.