Rapid pneumonia

Shellk

Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood, TX
hello everyone,
My 2 year old tortoise named Shellk was very active. We had our vet checkup 3 days ago and he was in the best condition he could be. Today he started acting in a very unusual manner. He had constant mucus coming out and was acting like he couldn’t breathe. Eventually I saw a tiny piece of molch come out and I thought that he must be choking on something. After a while of soaking him and letting him sit under his heat lamp I realized that he was having difficulty breathing and then he became lethargic. He would be immobile for a few minutes and then gasp for oxygen. I rushed him to the vet but the x-ray showed a massive build up of fluid in his lungs and he was only able to use 15% of it. The cost was almost $1,000 to have him hospitalized and even then his chances were very low. He is with me right now at home taking his final breaths. I have no idea how this happened so fast. I have a younger tort who I really hope doesn’t come down with pneumonia. Does anyone know what the cause of this rapid build up could be from and/or ways to prevent my younger one from ever coming down with this?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
hello everyone,
My 2 year old tortoise named Shellk was very active. We had our vet checkup 3 days ago and he was in the best condition he could be. Today he started acting in a very unusual manner. He had constant mucus coming out and was acting like he couldn’t breathe. Eventually I saw a tiny piece of molch come out and I thought that he must be choking on something. After a while of soaking him and letting him sit under his heat lamp I realized that he was having difficulty breathing and then he became lethargic. He would be immobile for a few minutes and then gasp for oxygen. I rushed him to the vet but the x-ray showed a massive build up of fluid in his lungs and he was only able to use 15% of it. The cost was almost $1,000 to have him hospitalized and even then his chances were very low. He is with me right now at home taking his final breaths. I have no idea how this happened so fast. I have a younger tort who I really hope doesn’t come down with pneumonia. Does anyone know what the cause of this rapid build up could be from and/or ways to prevent my younger one from ever coming down with this?

Sorry to hear that. Was your tort being kept outside or inside? Your temperatures there in Texas are pretty cold both day and night. Could easily get sick if not housed properly in a well insulated and heated night box, etc.

Fingers crossed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. Wish you would have had him euthanized if not treating to keep him from suffering more. That didn't happen so try keeping him warm, 85 day and night. If he is still with you tomorrow and not any better, reconsider having him humanely euthanized. Good luck.

Shellk

Friendswood, TX
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( How is Shellk today? :<3::tort:
Sadly, he didn’t make it more than an hour after my post. I’m sad he didn’t make it past 2 1/2 years old but I gave him a proper burial in his favorite spot in my garden. I’m still unsure what caused him to develop pneumonia soo fast but I hope this doesn’t happen to my younger tortoise.

Shellk

Friendswood, TX
Sorry to hear that. Was your tort being kept outside or inside? Your temperatures there in Texas are pretty cold both day and night. Could easily get sick if not housed properly in a well insulated and heated night box, etc.

Fingers crossed.
He was being kept outside until it got to around 60 and I immediately brought him in. He was doing great until yesterday afternoon.

Shellk

Friendswood, TX
So very sorry. Wish you would have had him euthanized if not treating to keep him from suffering more. That didn't happen so try keeping him warm, 85 day and night. If he is still with you tomorrow and not any better, reconsider having him humanely euthanized. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice, I’m glad that he no longer has to suffer the pain.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sadly, he didn’t make it more than an hour after my post. I’m sad he didn’t make it past 2 1/2 years old but I gave him a proper burial in his favorite spot in my garden. I’m still unsure what caused him to develop pneumonia soo fast but I hope this doesn’t happen to my younger tortoise.

I'm so sorry for your loss.