Really rather devastated right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
It has taken me a couple of days to even be able to talk about it. The smaller of my two Sri Stars managed to flip himself over while I was at work the day before yesterday - directly under the heat lamp. It was a longer than normal shift for me, and I have no idea exactly how long he was like that or how he managed to flip in that particular spot, but the outcome was not good.

This is the second baby I have ever lost and I am completely gutted right now. I don't even really know what to say about it. And it was one of my STARS! My little dreams come true. Ugh. I am so sick and sad.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I am so sorry for your loss, I wish I could say or do something to help you through this terrible situation.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Oh,Kristina,I'm so sorry to hear that. It's tough to lose an animal you love. My thoughts are with you. Take some solace in the fact that you gave him a great life while he was with you.

morloch

5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss!! That' must be devastating, I worked some long hours too and recently just cut back, that has always been my concern as well, as much as we do our best to give them a secure home,,,accidents do happen,,

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Sorry to haer this. I had exactly the same thing happen to my hatchling star last winter. Not under a light, but the result was the same.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Oh Kristina! What a heartbreaking story! I realize that words can't soothe your pain, but be strong & lean on us. :(

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks guys. It really does help having your support. I think guilt is my overwhelming emotion at the moment. This baby should NOT have died, and I can't help but think, what if I had done something, anything, different. Was it preventable of just fate? I don't know. I can't imagine what the little bugger went through. It kills me inside.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
This is one of those things that sadly happen, I lost 2 to over heating and I was home at the time ( 1 box and 1 russian) We tend to blame ourselves but really it was an unfortunate accident, even if you had been at home there is no guarantee it still would not happen, my box turtle I lost in a 20 minute window. Even though you are don't blame yourself. I also try not to imagine what they went through

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Sorry to hear that. As others have said, you really shouldn't blame yourself. I can't deny that I would in the same situation, but these are accidents that happen. We can't watch our tortoises every second, and there's always a risk that we'll lose them when we're not around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a constant fear of anyone who keeps tortoises. Every once in a while I'll find a baby upside down in the water dish or pinned by cage furnishings. I always think to myself, how long would he have lived if I hadn't just come along and checked right now, and how long has he been that way?

Don't blame yourself Kristina. I spend all day every day trying to figure out how to keep a whole lotta captive animals from hurting themselves. Every once in a while I fail.

... we're here for you. And we all know what a top notch keeper you are too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's too bad, Kristina. So sorry.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* Nothing I can say, will make a difference in how you feel and you know yourself that unfortunately these things happen (and usually to the one animal you want it to least happen to). If it helps to look to the good that can come out of this, it is it is a fresh reminder to everyone to double check their own situations and to remind new folks to tortoises keeping that this does unfortunately happens to us all. :(

Bubba30

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and it's not you fault. There are things and situations we can't control. There will be better days. Bubba and I send you lots of hugs and kisses.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} coming your way. I am so sorry. We are here for you, I wish I had the words to make the pain go away, try not to think about it. I know it's easier said than done. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Status
Not open for further replies.