Really Sick Baby Sulcata Tortoise. Please help !!!!

NancyNellis

5 Year Member
My friend gave me the sulcata because he couldn't take care of it anymore. It has mbd & dehydrated. Both of the eyes are shut ! Even saline solution doesn't make them open. Also, it can't eat. And when I soak it in water, it just lay there & I'm scared it might get choke on the water cause it's not drinking it. And the top, side, and bottom shell are really really soft. There's no vet around me. Is there any way I can help it ? Probably by force feeding it baby food. Can you give me tips to open its mouth. Thanks !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nancy:

Don't try to force the baby's mouth open. If he is as bad with the MBD as you think he is, you might break something.

There probably really isn't much you can do for him. Once they get this far gone, it's very hard to bring them back, especially if you have no access to a tort vet.

The important thing is to get calcium into the tortoise and sunshine to make the calcium work.

You can try soaking the baby in unflavored Pedialite. Soaking will help him open his eyes. Just put enough water in the bowl so that he doesn't have to strain to keep his head up out of the water.

Go online and see if there's a turtle rescue in your town. You really need the help of someone who knows about tortoises.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Any update?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Warm water and baby food soaks ....lots of sun time (but you must be there with him to assure he does not overheat--likely not very strong to be able to move in and out of the sun on his own) and keep interrupting him so he has to be awake and not just sleep himself away....then be sure to let your friend know to not acquire any other torts until he has schooled himself on proper basic care techniques...