Really worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
So it got to be about 75-80 degrees where I live so I took my Russian tortoise out on a walk. I took him to a place where no chemicals are used to be safe. When I got back I put him down and he crawled into a corner and slept I thought maybe he was just tired from all the walking. The next day at noon (well over 12 hours later) he was in the same spot so I picked him up to see if he was alright. He popped his head out and opened his eyes so I set him back down and he crawled to the corner with the heat lamp and has been there ever since. So it's been about 32 hours since the walk and he hasn't moved or walked at all besides what I mentioned and he's never done this before.

What could be wrong with him?

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stanton, CA
How warm is your enclosure? Did he eat anything where you took him?

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
Right now it's about 70 degrees because it's night time but it gets up there in temperature in the day (Im not sure of the exact temp because I have him in a 36x24 concrete mixing tub enclosure so it's open) And no he didn't eat anything while out and about.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Has he not had much exercise lately? I wonder if it just exhausted him a bit

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
When he was in a smaller tank i'd let him out for a few hours a day and he moved faster then. since I've gotten this bigger tank he moves and is active more in it so i lessened the time he was out and is more sluggish compared to his once zingy (is that a word?) activity.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Have you soaked him? Try doing that in 'baby warm' water daily for a few days.
If he was fine before his walk (clear eyes, nose, poo/pee normal), then he is very likely just being a tort (and keeping his owner guessing).
Other than soaking, give him a few days.

It was a very good idea to take him outside, since you were with him. Russians do like being outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
lynnedit said:
Have you soaked him? Try doing that in 'baby warm' water daily for a few days.
If he was fine before his walk (clear eyes, nose, poo/pee normal), then he is very likely just being a tort (and keeping his owner guessing).
Other than soaking, give him a few days.

It was a very good idea to take him outside, since you were with him. Russians do like being outside.
But keep a close eye on him... Russians love digging too! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You really need to know your temps. Temperature is everything to a reptile. This could be due to temps and the walk thing is just coincidental. Your basking spot, directly under the lamp should be around 100 for 12 hours a day or so.

Show us a pic of the enclosure. We might see something that will help. Also, its very bright outside. Other than your heat lamp, what do you do to light up the enclosure during the day.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am going to differ with Tom, I would not have my basking spot that warm, especially since you really don't have that large of an area for hm to escape that high of a heat.

Along with other thoughts, I would wonder if you stressed him a bit taking him outside. Also remember just because the temps may be saying 75 outside, check to see how warm the ground actually is where the tortoise is walking. ;)

I would be trying those soaks as suggested above.

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
He's up and awake this morning eating and fine thanks guys. I think he was just really tired

Status
Not open for further replies.