wonderfulwildlife

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
How deep should the bedding be for a RF hatchling & how deep of an enclosure should I have indoors (so it can’t escape)? I’ve heard they should have 4-5 inches of bedding (I plan on using clean potting soil with red mulch & sphagnum moss).

Is any container too deep that it prevents air flow or causes other problems? Would a tall Rubbermaid-type tub be too much for a closed-chamber enclosure if I drilled holes in the sides for ventilation?

Thank you so much!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I prefer substrate thickness to be a minimum of 4-5 inches. I also build hills into the enclosure and find the diversity in the landscape gives my tortoises extra engagement.

The tub container would work for a year or so for a hatchling but your tortoise will outgrow it quickly.

wonderfulwildlife

Tampa, FL
I prefer substrate thickness to be a minimum of 4-5 inches. I also build hills into the enclosure and find the diversity in the landscape gives my tortoises extra engagement.

The tub container would work for a year or so for a hatchling but your tortoise will outgrow it quickly.

Awesome, thank you! I will do that. I’ve heard people make a little hill over the moist hide so I plan on doing that too. I bought a tub for now, & I plan on building an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise when it’s a little bigger so that should work out great :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Awesome, thank you! I will do that. I’ve heard people make a little hill over the moist hide so I plan on doing that too. I bought a tub for now, & I plan on building an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise when it’s a little bigger so that should work out great :)

I bury plant pots in the substrate and make hills this way that they can walk over and top out on. It gives depth and interest to the habitat.