Red foot hatchling

Hilltop haven

Hi, I have a red foot hatchling that doesn't seem to eat enough. The only things he has eaten so far are mango, clover, dandelion, and soaked tortoise chow. Any hints on what I can tempt him with?

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Have you given your tort store-bought greens like spring mix, kale, spinach, etc.? Greens (meaning store-bought greens, "weeds" like clover and dandelion, and grasses) should really be the staple of his/her diet. Also, how much exactly is s/he eating? It may not seem like enough to you, but may be just fine for him/her. After all, hatchlings have pretty small tummies. A rule of thumb is to only put out what your tort will eat in one sitting and if there is extra to then take it away when s/he is done.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
he's eating sounds normal? have you tried spring mix? mine loves it also if you just got him it takes some time for them to settle in but once they do they'll recognize you as the food god

Peytons torts

Spring mix is what I use and they love it especially if I sprinkle some of their calcium powder or if I put blueberry halves

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
my redfoot loves:

cactus (both the fruit and the pads)
brusselsprouts
mushrooms
kiwi
butternut squash
collared greens
banana
hibiscus
arugula
clover

and a whole bunch of other stuff, but this is just to give you some ideas.