Red foot shell rot

Lolovespark

Location (City and/or State)
Sandwich, IL
my red foot baby has shell rot, I’ve read on how to treat it. I’ve been struggling to keep his enclosure humid enough and have been misting. Other than changing the substrate how do I promote a humid enough environment at the appropriate temperature? We placed some plexiglass across part of the top of his tortoise table. I’ve changed the lights to a Che bulb for heat and the tube for uvb. I’m freaking out!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Close off the entire top.
Drop the strip UV to the underside of the top.
Maybe also drop the CHE if space allows. Or place it on top of a round hole on a section of metal screen or mesh affixed to the plexiglass.
Not all enclosures can be modified for a Redfoot.
A new enclosure may need to be assembled or purchased.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How do I keep it at the humidity he needs and treat/prevent further shell rot?
The closed chamber will hold in most of the humidity without the need for dripping wet substrate.
I've used a few inches of Orchid bark covered by a few inches of Orchid bark mixed with topsoil.
The lower layer of Orchid bark sucks up and holds the liquid and releases humidity while leaving to top layer dryer.
Shell fungus (not rot. Rot is a super advanced case of shell fungus and or with bacterial infection) is common with an indoor Redfoot enclosure. Or even with an outdoor tropical ecosystem like mine.
This may require your attention semi regularly. But when you catch it early it's easy to treat and the damage to the animal is superficial and not in itself dangerous.
(As long as it is treated)
This will get easier once you get your enclosure better dialed in.