red foot tort during winter question for warm days

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathedw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham AL
Hey guys and gals-

I purchased a red foot for my daughter in Alabama. Right now he is in the garage under a basking light about 90 right under and a uvb light. He mainly stays in his water bowl.

On days in Alabama during the winter you might get a high of 70 degrees. I created a big open area in our fenced in back yard with bricks (castle rock I think lowes calls it). It's about 3 feet high. I have some rocks, sand, grass, hiding places, etc.

Questions:

1. On days with a high of 70 can he go outside for the day?
  2. Any plants you know of to live in the winter which are safe for the red foot? Maybe dandelions?

Thanks,

Heath

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heath:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
How old is your RF? if he's larger, he will hold his heat better and enjoy the sunshine without the cooler air getting to him. 70 is not to bad for short times... watch and see how active he stays... when he runs down... take him inside to warm up

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Is it 70 in the sun, and if so, what is the ground and shade temp? 70 is a bit on the low end, especially if the ground is cold. It is not a big deal as long as it can find or get some warmth or if the sun makes good basking sites.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
don't park your car in the garage with all those fumes. It can kill your little guy or cause health problems.
70's is fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.