Red heat bulb or heat emitter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston44

5 Year Member
I have a 100watt red light heat bulb( on a dimmer so it's not too hot I keep it at 85-90) it seems to dry out the substrate in my enclosure very fast, so would a ceramic heat emitter be better at heating and keeping the humidity?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this for night time? No lights should be on at night. CHE is better, no light. Cover part of the enclosure, 1/2 to 3/4 to help hold in heat and humidity.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
wellington said:
Is this for night time? No lights should be on at night. CHE is better, no light. Cover part of the enclosure, 1/2 to 3/4 to help hold in heat and humidity.

Agreed!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I say CHE on a thermostat. Maybe it won't come on during the daytime, but it will at night and it will provide you and your tortoise the consistent temps that are required. Using a dimmer just makes you a slave to adjustment and I'm lazy, I like things to be taken care of automatically.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you were using a red light to heat the enclosure, what are you using to provide UVb? I recommend a mercury vapor bulb (mvb). The coil bulbs can cause blindness in baby torts. Also, the ceramic heat emitter (che) gives heat at night w/o light so that your baby can sleep warmly. You need them both. Keep us posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cowboy_Ken said:
I say CHE on a thermostat. Maybe it won't come on during the daytime, but it will at night and it will provide you and your tortoise the consistent temps that are required. Using a dimmer just makes you a slave to adjustment and I'm lazy, I like things to be taken care of automatically.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use the black moon glo bulbs. I do not like the red lights.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use black lights for night time heat. I recently saw some 160 watt red brooder lights at Tractor supply and bought a couple. They keep the tortoise shed nice and toasty during the night, however, they put off a lot of light. Its almost like day time in there. Once they burn out, I'll replace them with the black lights. It was my experience that the CHE used more electricity than the black lights. That's why I switched. (I have lots and lots of fixtures and I was trying to find ways to conserve)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
So the popular, though not necessarily true, idea was that the red lamps do not offer illumination that reptiles can see, but warmth.

It seems to me that some tortoises can 'see' the red light, and it is like some weird partial day time to them.

We used to use night lights at the reptile house at the zoo, it is not pitch black at night either. Light pollution aside, the night sky, overcast or clear is lighted to some extent, and not pitch black.

Anyone know of study that indicates the tortoises can 'see' the red or black lamps. I agree with emysemys, in that the bulbs give more heat for the watts than the CHE, which I am never sure are on or not, unless I put my hand hear them to feel the heat. The bulbs at least indicate their being on.

Will

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Will said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
My vote is also CHE on thermostat. It's what I use.

How do you know when it 'burns' out?

Will

I use wireless temperature and humidity sensor's in multiple area's of all outdoor and indoor enclosures. Not only do CHE's burn out but they put out significantly less heat after a certain amount of time.

winston44

5 Year Member
sibi said:
If you were using a red light to heat the enclosure, what are you using to provide UVb? I recommend a mercury vapor bulb (mvb). The coil bulbs can cause blindness in baby torts. Also, the ceramic heat emitter (che) gives heat at night w/o light so that your baby can sleep warmly. You need them both. Keep us posted.

I live in Arizona so I pretty much use the sun but I have a uvb tube bulb when it's too cold to be out side

Cowboy_Ken said:

Could I use my dome lamp with the CHE or would I need to buy a cage lamp

emysemys said:
I use black lights for night time heat. I recently saw some 160 watt red brooder lights at Tractor supply and bought a couple. They keep the tortoise shed nice and toasty during the night, however, they put off a lot of light. Its almost like day time in there. Once they burn out, I'll replace them with the black lights. It was my experience that the CHE used more electricity than the black lights. That's why I switched. (I have lots and lots of fixtures and I was trying to find ways to conserve)

I want to conserve as well, but do the black light give off a lot of light

lisa127 said:
I use the black moon glo bulbs. I do not like the red lights.

Is that just a black light bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.