Redfoot Care Sheet?

iota

I am new to a pet tortoise. It is something I have wanted since I was about 10 years old. I am now in my late 30s. When my 7 year old asked for one for her birthday, I was like "YES! Win!!" I've had many of other reptiles in my life, so I am no stranger to the care and work that goes into these pets. However, like Jon Snow... I know nothing.

I saw a link in another thread to here, http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/, thank you so much!

I have not purchased anything yet. I've done a bunch of research, and pretty much scoured every pet store, reptile specialty store, and aquarium store within an hour drive of my home.

I've found a bunch of Russians, a Greek on craigslist for trade for audio equipment, and 1 redfoot. The redfoot was the healthiest, he was also really friendly. The store owner let me and my 7 year old interact. He did not seem to protest when I picked him up. He just kind of held on, but he didn't hide. He was actually pretty social. He wanted to know about us as much as we wanted to know about him. The owner said his kids like him, and interact with him a lot. He was medium sized, based on what I read. He was a little bigger than my hand. I liked him a lot, but I didn't have a home ready yet, and I wanted to shop a bit more.

I have a nice spot in my yard, that will be perfect for outdoor living, but I live in Pittsburgh and it gets cold so I plan to build a nice big table for him on colder days, but I have some questions:

1) Is there any wood I should avoid? I saw on other care sheets to avoid pine and cedar chips. Should I do the same for the wood I build the box from?

2) Can I stain/polyurethane the box?

3) These guys need a moist environment. What steps to I take to avoid mold, mildew, and other forms of decay?

Now on the still shopping front, there is a retile show this weekend, and I was going to check it out before making any purchases. I really worry about wild caught critters being at those shows, I had a bad experience with a retile show ball python when I was 16.

1) What should I look for as far as health?
2) Anything at the show is going to be terrified, who can I be sure to find someone who is nice and curious and not bitey?

I've been stalking the forum for awhile, and I've read some comments about beak overgrowth. What is that and how do I avoid it? In my head it like a bird beak or hamster teeth, and you care for it by giving them something to file/chew on. Is this the same thing? Do I just make sure they have sticks and cuddle bones?

Every non-snake reptile I have ever owned has needed some kind of vitamin supplement to be sprinkled on their noms. What is recommended for tortoises?

Any household concerns I need to consider while letting someone roam around?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
1) Is there any wood I should avoid? I saw on other care sheets to avoid pine and cedar chips. Should I do the same for the wood I build the box from?
You can use pine (not cedar) for the box or tort table.

2) Can I stain/polyurethane the box?
Yes, you should seal it. I use polyurethane (oil based) not polyacrylic (water based).

3) These guys need a moist environment. What steps to I take to avoid mold, mildew, and other forms of decay?
I use multiple coats of polyurethane (3 - 5). After the final coat, allow it to bake in the sun. That evening, spray it with the hose and let it sit overnight. Bring it inside after the water has dried & let it 'air' out for a day or two.

1) What should I look for as far as health?
What ZEROPILOT said +
No nasal discharge.
Clear clean vent.
Stable gait.
Plastron clear of any apparent fungal/bacterial infection.

2) Anything at the show is going to be terrified, who can I be sure to find someone who is nice and curious and not bitey?
Some will be immune to the 'crisis'. Look for one that is active, alert and does not seem to be ruffled by the throngs.
I've not known RF's to be bitey.

Beak maintenance.
Cuttlebone and feeding on a flat slate or rough-textured tile will usually prevent this from getting out of hand. Under unusual circumstances it may be necessary to file any excess. Sticks will not likely be of benefit as they don't chew like rodents.

Supplements.
If you are getting a hatchling or young juvenile (less than 4" SCL), lightly dusting 1 - 2x per week with calcium carbonate can be beneficial. On a tort larger than 4", it is usually not necessary assuming a well-rounded varied diet is provided.

Any household concerns I need to consider while letting someone roam around?
YES! Do not let it roam around the house. Too many bad things can happen.

iota

Yep. We have. We know the redfoot gets to be about 11 inches, but can grow as large as 16.

I've spent some time researching. I figure he or she may outlive me so I should know what I am getting into. Though had someone told me how easily and rapidly guppies had bred, I would not have believed it. (They have tons of fry, frequently!!)

iota

Do you put any ventilation into the base/bottom for the dirt. My husband has a few ideas, but could not find any details on design.