Redfoot Diet Examples

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
I know the basics of which food are safe, but I was hoping some members would share their general diet they feed their redfoots. I will be getting my hatchling soon! Any input is greatly appreciated!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Worms ,hibiscus flowers ,hibiscus leaves ,worms , snails, mazrui, spring mix,clover, dandelion ,grass,roses,cactus, watermelon, strawberries, banana, water hyacinths

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
Worms ,hibiscus flowers ,hibiscus leaves ,worms , snails, mazrui, spring mix,clover, dandelion ,grass,roses,cactus, watermelon, strawberries, banana, water hyacinths

You are giving me lots of help today!
Just to clarify: What types of worms, snails and grass? Do you feed the dandelion leaves you get in the store or the yellow flowered weed? Thank you so much! :)

Meganolvt

Michigan
I feed my yellow foot kale, parsley, collard greens (he doesn't like that), grapes (he loves), shredded carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes, mushrooms (he loves), apples, cucumbers, low-fat cat food once in a while, outside grasses. I'm going to try dandelion greens and green beans soon.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Green beans are no good . Try mushrooms from the store . The weed dandelions with the yellow flowers are the same as the ones at the store . Turnip greens and kale are better options as for store food . I don't feed dog and cat food . I cook chicken or fish in the oven with nothing on it for protein . Worms you find in the ground they love .

Alaskamike

South Florida
I've added some boiled egg. I chop a bit off with shell & all and chop it up small in the food mix.

dumje

5 Year Member
Miami Florida
If you offer pre killed rats they will fight over them....Mine will also fight each other for papaya

ShannonT

Oregon, Pacific Northwest
Green beans are no good . Try mushrooms from the store . The weed dandelions with the yellow flowers are the same as the ones at the store . Turnip greens and kale are better options as for store food . I don't feed dog and cat food . I cook chicken or fish in the oven with nothing on it for protein . Worms you find in the ground they love .
Why not green beans Mike? Is that the same with sugar snap peas?

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
My guy gets weeds, dark leafy greens, spring mix, Mazuri, mushrooms, banana, mango, and protein about once weekly (he had half a hard-boiled egg today and will have the other half tomorrow.) He tends to favor protein and Mazuri over veggies and fruits, though mushrooms are a favorite. I'm leaning more towards more tropical fruits and less leafy greens based on (obsessive, excessive) reading, and trying to keep the Mazuri to a minimum too (though that's his favorite thing and it's often used to trick him into eating veggies). He munches on clover, Italian dandelion, and testudo mix sprouts growing in us enclosure whenever he's hungry, so I know he's getting a bit of that stuff daily.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
In the winter they eat spring mix, kale, dandelion greens (produce department), home grown mallow, wheat grass, chia, hibiscus. Occasional butternut squash, mushrooms, sweet pepper.

Summer they enjoy a wide variety of weeds, more mallow and hibiscus, snapdragon blossoms, clover they love!

Once every week or two, earthworms, slugs, snails, boiled chicken, hard boiled egg with shells. Occasional fruit like banana or mango, I use these to lure them into eating their calcium supplement.

ShannonT

My guy gets weeds, dark leafy greens, spring mix, Mazuri, mushrooms, banana, mango, and protein about once weekly (he had half a hard-boiled egg today and will have the other half tomorrow.) He tends to favor protein and Mazuri over veggies and fruits, though mushrooms are a favorite. I'm leaning more towards more tropical fruits and less leafy greens based on (obsessive, excessive) reading, and trying to keep the Mazuri to a minimum too (though that's his favorite thing and it's often used to trick him into eating veggies). He munches on clover, Italian dandelion, and testudo mix sprouts growing in us enclosure whenever he's hungry, so I know he's getting a bit of that stuff daily.
I've given them fresh green beans infrequently mixed with their other greens. If they aren't advised, I will add them to the
No feed list. Thanks everyone for your input!

Prairie Mom

Why not green beans Mike? Is that the same with sugar snap peas?
I don't keep redfoot tortoises, so I beg your pardon for commenting. My interest in tortoise diets and plants made this thread catch my eye.
For green beans and peas...Feed your tortoise the plant itself and not the veg. The good folks at the tortoise table (-I mean that...I've participated in their forums and they are very nice people!) advise against Snap peas and even snap pea shoots. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=705

-They only JUST BARELY added this in their plant categories and I don't completely agree with them. I HAVE fed my tortoise snap pea shoots as part of a very large and varied diet and will continue to offer it several times during the winter because it grows so fast and well under grow lights. The problem that I have with their plant category post is in their discussion of Phytic Acid. It is true that the seeds inside beans and snap peas have phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that in large amounts can lead to stones etc, BUT the second the seed begins to SPROUT -even a tiny hair from the seed, those parts of the plant basically begin to "digest themselves" and they are not as present in the plant and leaves.

I'll continue to offer it during the winter as part of a heavily varied diet, but don't take my word for it!!! When you get conflicting info like I'm offering and even read something on the Tortoise Table that doesn't seem right, do some internet searches. You can often find sites offering a plant analysis and then there are millions of other web pages to offer an opinion on the edibility.

ShannonT

I don't keep redfoot tortoises, so I beg your pardon for commenting. My interest in tortoise diets and plants made this thread catch my eye.
For green beans and peas...Feed your tortoise the plant itself and not the veg. The good folks at the tortoise table (-I mean that...I've participated in their forums and they are very nice people!) advise against Snap peas and even snap pea shoots. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=705

-They only JUST BARELY added this in their plant categories and I don't completely agree with them. I HAVE fed my tortoise snap pea shoots as part of a very large and varied diet and will continue to offer it several times during the winter because it grows so fast and well under grow lights. The problem that I have with their plant category post is in their discussion of Phytic Acid. It is true that the seeds inside beans and snap peas have phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that in large amounts can lead to stones etc, BUT the second the seed begins to SPROUT -even a tiny hair from the seed, those parts of the plant basically begin to "digest themselves" and they are not as present in the plant and leaves.

I'll continue to offer it during the winter as part of a heavily varied diet, but don't take my word for it!!! When you get conflicting info like I'm offering and even read something on the Tortoise Table that doesn't seem right, do some internet searches. You can often find sites offering a plant analysis and then there are millions of other web pages to offer an opinion on the edibility.
Thank you for the information :)
I will do some more reading as well! I always thought I fed a pretty varied diet, but I'm seeing there is more I could be doing.
My littlest girl was originally rescued from a situation that left her very malnourished and dehydrated. I have no idea how old she is. (she could sit on the palm of my hand) I think more of her body weight was from her poor gut full of parasites.
In the last year she has more than doubled in size and she loves her dark leafy greens the best!
I soak her daily (she doesn't like it) and I always add moisture to her food. It has taken months before I finally saw her drink from her saucer. I don't think she really had a good water source before :(

Prairie Mom

Thank you for the information :)
I will do some more reading as well! I always thought I fed a pretty varied diet, but I'm seeing there is more I could be doing.
My littlest girl was originally rescued from a situation that left her very malnourished and dehydrated. I have no idea how old she is. (she could sit on the palm of my hand) I think more of her body weight was from her poor gut full of parasites.
In the last year she has more than doubled in size and she loves her dark leafy greens the best!
I soak her daily (she doesn't like it) and I always add moisture to her food. It has taken months before I finally saw her drink from her saucer. I don't think she really had a good water source before :(
Glad she's doing better! Great job!

Meganolvt

Michigan
I have so much to learn too. I'm finding my yellow foot to be pickier and pickier as time goes on. Since i've had to bring him inside (too cold) he isn't eating as varied of a diet as he did in August and September. I know his enclosure is too small, we are building him a bigger one this weekend. Hopefully this will make him happier. For the last week or so I can only get him to eat bananas, Mazuri tortoise or cat food, where before he would eat anything I gave him. I'm offering greens every day but he won't touch them. After a few days I give him a little of something he will eat. I realize that if he has a choice he will go for the banana, but I want to make sure he doesnt stop eating altogether. He's got shell issues and I don't want to go backwards with him.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I have so much to learn too. I'm finding my yellow foot to be pickier and pickier as time goes on. Since i've had to bring him inside (too cold) he isn't eating as varied of a diet as he did in August and September. I know his enclosure is too small, we are building him a bigger one this weekend. Hopefully this will make him happier. For the last week or so I can only get him to eat bananas, Mazuri tortoise or cat food, where before he would eat anything I gave him. I'm offering greens every day but he won't touch them. After a few days I give him a little of something he will eat. I realize that if he has a choice he will go for the banana, but I want to make sure he doesnt stop eating altogether. He's got shell issues and I don't want to go backwards with him.

I've experienced some of the pickiness with my 6 month old, and I've started chopping weeds or whatever else I'm trying to feed very finely, then mixing one or two pieces of Mazuri in. He tries to pick the Mazuri out, but if I've done a good job, he'll eat a good amount of the other food too. I try to make sure the Mazuri is a much smaller portion than the other stuff.

Laura Wegeman

I see a lot of posts about the Muzuri food. Because I had heard so many great reviews about it while doing an on line search I bought it in the past only to read the ingredients list and notice that it had artificial ingredients in it. I wonder if it is causing certain torts to be picky eaters? I also wonder if the inorganic and unnatural ingredients are harmful? I feed as close to a natural diet as possible and even plant edibles in my little Moxie girl's indoor home. Does anyone have any more information on the Muzuri food's ingredients list that would be helpful? It makes me wonder about it and I want to make 100% sure it's actually good and helpful for her. Thanks. :)