Tortoise table and Redfoots

Fauna

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
It seems everyone here is quite familiar with tortoise table so I thought perhaps someone might know of a different resource that would be particularly helpful with Redfoots, or if anyone can share some deeper insights on the Redfoot diet vs. tortoises in general which tortoise table covers. I’ve found that tortoise table describes certain foods as “in moderation” or “sparingly” which can be a regular part of a varied diet for a redfoot. There also seems to be some plants on there labeled “do not feed” that members feed to their Redfoots, and I’m inclined to believe that it’s not an error on the members decision to feed and more likely a dietary difference between the Redfoot and the diets of desert tortoises or testudo species. An example that comes to mind is purslane. Then there are plants that aren’t even listed, like Pothos. It also seems like there is a strong stance against anti-nutrients without considering its benefits in a cost/benefit sort of way. I really wish they had a plant composition resource (or if you know of one, do share!) so you could select plants to feed together to balance one another out, or avoiding feeding together because they enhance the effect of various anti-nutrients. Please share your thoughts and experience!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The Tortoise Table is a great resource that should be taken less seriously than many people seem to take it.

It's designed around grassland tortoises, so won't directly translate for forest tortoises, like Redfoots.

I plant all of my enclosures with pothos, and some torts ignore it, some nibble it, my Redfoot strips it to stems in hours.

Appropriate diet is, in my opinion, the most important key to a tortoise's well-being, and a big part of that is variety... people who lose their minds about the portion of a mixed greens package that is spinach are worrying too much, IMHO.

Feed them all sorts of stuff, no one thing making up the bulk of their diet, and your tortoise should do fine.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You have Redfoot?
Redfoot can eat the widest variety of foods.
Redfoot can eat fruits as a regular part of the diet because of the ability to process sugars.
They are also at least partially carnivorous.
But some items, like Purslane are very high in oxalates and should be fed in moderation. My Redfoot love the stuff.
Their diet is vastly different than that of a desert tortoise. And includes foods that would kill some other species.
The Redfoot diet is only for them.
Flowers, plant matter, fruit, mushrooms, Mazuri 5M21 and animal protein