Giant redfoots

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I wish I could remember the show but it was some Steve Irwin wanna be, snake guy. Anyway, he was in the Amazon and he found a tortoise crossing a stream. It appeared to be a redfoot (what else would be in the Amazon?) but it was massive! Shortly after I saw a redfoot at a reptile show that was HUGE. This was a couple years ago but recently I've seen some ads for hatchlings advertised as giant redfoots, so this is a thing, right? Do any of you have giant redfoots? I mean these things were nearing sulcata proportions, or is my memory playing tricks? I'd like to know more. A 20" redfoot would be a cool addition. If any of you have pics of giant redfoots I'd love to see. Thanks!

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Austin Stevens is his name and I guess it was a yellowfoot not a red. Still be interested in any info regarding giant red or yellowfoots.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Bolivians get large. It is hard to find pure Bolivian bloodlines though. Generally more expensive as well. Also, since they sell for more, it is hard to find a reputable breeder that truly has pure lines. They also tend to have all black plastrons. If you find a breeder request to see the plastron, many times, sellers will go for the quick buck and sell you a regular northern and just rename it as a Bolivian. The Bolivians also tend to have brighter colors.

Flip side of that is sometimes at pet stores you may find a Bolivian in with the regular northern at a Northern price.

Last edited:

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Austin Stevens is his name and I guess it was a yellowfoot not a red. Still be interested in any info regarding giant red or yellowfoots.
I did a Google search for "Austin Stevens giant tortoise" and came up with a brief clip, but the tortoise was submerged so you couldn't see his carapace. I'd love to see some really giant redfoot or yellow foot specimens!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
@tortadise is a great source to check for pure bloodlines. If he doesn't have any available, he may know of other reputable breeders.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I did a Google search for "Austin Stevens giant tortoise" and came up with a brief clip, but the tortoise was submerged so you couldn't see his carapace. I'd love to see some really giant redfoot or yellow foot specimens!

I did that search on YouTube and see the video you saw. That is the same vid but the full length version shows the tort out of the water. But it even looks huge floating in the water. Has to be 4 times bigger than my biggest.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Neat! I'm torn between hoping my future tort gets big and hoping s/he stays fairly small. We've already started planning a yard renovation for Spring, but if s/he gets that big, we will be moving to the country!

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I know what you mean. I wouldn't mind having one that is that big but I wouldn't want a whole herd that size. I don't know how the sulcata people do it.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know that they're hard to keep if you have the space. Honestly, if we ever move somewhere where we have acreage and the right climate, I'd adopt a Sulcata in a heartbeat. It'd be like having a tortoise who was also a pony!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Bolivians get large. It is hard to find pure Bolivian bloodlines though. Generally more expensive as well. Also, since they sell for more, it is hard to find a reputable breeder that truly has pure lines. They also tend to have all black plastrons. If you find a breeder request to see the plastron, many times, sellers will go for the quick buck and sell you a regular northern and just rename it as a Bolivian. The Bolivians also tend to have brighter colors.

Flip side of that is sometimes at pet stores you may find a Bolivian in with the regular northern at a Northern price.

There are Breeders who have pure lines and keep it that way. Your right ....they can get big.
Here is a BIG Brazilin Male next to another 10" Brazilin Male....

His Head .....

Plastron Shot......as you mention More Black ...

One of his babies ...

A young high marbled Male....

Adult/Sub-Adult
Females

Huge Female ....

young Females
and lots of color ....

Even Black ...

and orange ...

" Pritchard reports that the largest red-footed tortoise on record is 17.75" long. Its shell is in the American Museum of Natural History"

Last edited:

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Gorgeous! I really like the high marbled ones! But... I like them all. I've always been obsessed with chelonians, but now that I'm actually preparing to provide a home for one, I feel the crazy tortoise person coming on!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I wish I could remember the show but it was some Steve Irwin wanna be, snake guy. Anyway, he was in the Amazon and he found a tortoise crossing a stream. It appeared to be a redfoot (what else would be in the Amazon?) but it was massive! Shortly after I saw a redfoot at a reptile show that was HUGE. This was a couple years ago but recently I've seen some ads for hatchlings advertised as giant redfoots, so this is a thing, right? Do any of you have giant redfoots? I mean these things were nearing sulcata proportions, or is my memory playing tricks? I'd like to know more. A 20" redfoot would be a cool addition. If any of you have pics of giant redfoots I'd love to see. Thanks!
It was Austin Stevens. That was a yellowfoot too. I recall that episode. Was a very large specimen indeed. He was in west Brazil eastern Peru.