Giant redfoots

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I don't look like it, if you can get a good plastron picture with some measurements that would be helpful. To me they look like Northerns.
Indeed. Bolivians don't waist band. They have round shells and black plastrons.

I'll try and dig up a photo of a 16" female Bolivian.

Last edited:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Couldn't find it. Must be on my computer. But I believe and correct me if I'm wrong @jcaporaletti did you get that big girl form mike Barrera? she came from Guyana. Very impressive animal. I have a F2 I have raised and she's getting quite large. She's 13 years old and my 14" male is almost outgrown by her. She constantly grows and grows and grows. You can see her clutch mate sister looks just like her but normal size. No telling what happens when the giant northerns come about.

Kinda hard to tell in this photo but she's the one on the bottom. She's just completely outgrown everyone. This photo is a year old, if I remember I'll snap some new ones.

image.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Found the pic of Patricia the Bolivian (which are gran Chaco) biggest of the carbonaria.

She deposited a clutch of 12 eggs. Infertile of course. My male isn't large enough to fertilize her. She's 12 years old and my male is 7 years old,
image.jpg

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
United States
@tortadise I did not get her from Mike but he did have her at one time. She has a patchy history at best, I do believe that she was imported from Surimane. At least that is what I could gather, any info you have would be appreciated.

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
United States
Yeah, I know some large ones have come from Guyana, Surimane, and French Guiana. I think this is the exception verses the rule. The biggest ones/one is from Bolivia. I think most of the pure Bolivians get large, over 16". The environment differences between the two locations is vastly different. I am sure that this has allowed the species to change into the different races if you will.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah, I know some large ones have come from Guyana, Surimane, and French Guiana. I think this is the exception verses the rule. The biggest ones/one is from Bolivia. I think most of the pure Bolivians get large, over 16". The environment differences between the two locations is vastly different. I am sure that this has allowed the species to change into the different races if you will.
Yes indeed. The largest are gran Chaco which are found in Bolivia, Paraguay and very small sliver of southwest Brazil. Then the western race of carbonaria that are the next largest are in southern Brazil then the northern race which includes Guyana,Suriname, French Guinea. The northwestern clad tend to get smaller than northern so columbian, Venezuelan and souther Panamanian stay large but not quite what some northers can reach. I use to see some monster Suriname/guyanan come in from an importer buddy of kine in the late 90s, 15-19" all day long. They sold really quick. Redfoots are awesome. I think obviously it's the wild collected large ones that go first because they're the easier ones to spot when collecting. Also during lent South America (a heavily catholic denominational society) feeds off turtles/tortoises during these times.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
@tortadise I did not get her from Mike but he did have her at one time. She has a patchy history at best, I do believe that she was imported from Surimane. At least that is what I could gather, any info you have would be appreciated.
Yep perhaps the same one. I was very close to purchasing the 19" one he had for sale, but other things always come up for me to be adding mammoth Redfoots. Super cool specimen though.

Here the pic I got when I inquired about her. Not sure if it's the same animal. But a huge one red too.
image.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a nursery on University drive driving towards Tamarac on the East side of the road. I'll have to get back to you on the name. They charge $3 for entrance to the zoo area in the back.

smwboxer

Fort Lauderdale, FL
If you ever get over here in the Fort Lauderdale area I'll take you to a nursery/zoo that has just that type of Redfoot.
They are gigantic. I have a male that is almost 15" and these are much larger!

Where is this nursery/zoo? I live in Ft. Lauderdale and would love to go!

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
I went to the nurser/mini zoo and i was disappointed in the conditions they the animals. They had two pairs or redfoot and neither had sufficient space. They even had a juvenile about 6-8 inches in an old bird cage. I felt so bad for it i even asked if it was for sale. Unfortunately they said it they wouldn't sell it.