Redfoot exhibiting odd behavior

Honeyman

Location (City and/or State)
Mount pleasant
One of my northern redfoots is about 1.5 years old and has always made a squeak noise when it drinks or eats wet food. At first I was extremely nervous and contacted the breeder to let him know he made this noise, I also posted a thread on here( unfortunately the thread got combined with another i made regarding another tortoise of mine). I did get some responses saying it was a normal thing and not to worry so long as the tortoise didn't show any other signs of illness. He didn't show anything else, he eats fine, drinks and soaks himself in the water dish all the time and thermo regulates just fine. However now he makes the noise often even without eating or drinking and when he does he pulls his head back into his shell and opens and closes his mouth repeatedly making an almost grinding/squeaking noise. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Also I have video of it but cannot figure out how to post it. Is there a way to post video?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a run down of your temps. Day temps high and low, night temps and humidity.
The video needs to be uploaded onto YouTube and then shared here from that.

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
The day time temps range from 82°f on the cooler end of the enclosure and 86°-88°f on the warm side. I use a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and a t5 5.0 shade dweller uvb on a timer. At night the temps drop to 80°-78.5°f before the CHE kicks back on. The humidity stays between 75-90%. The diet consists of greens like dandelion, baby arugula, hibiscus leaves,mallow, clover, cactus, plantain etc. And fruits like papaya, mango, prickly pear fruit and the occasional melon as a special treat. I also feed flowers like snapdragon, lilac and hibiscus. I also give protein once a week in the form of either mazuri, mushrooms, and occasionally black soldier fly larvae or captive bred earth worms.I sprinkle calcium twice a week and a multivitamin with d3 once a month. The substrate is orchid bark, there are hides on the cool and warm ends of the enclosure. This tortoise also lives separately from my others.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The day time temps range from 82°f on the cooler end of the enclosure and 86°-88°f on the warm side. I use a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and a t5 5.0 shade dweller uvb on a timer. At night the temps drop to 80°-78.5°f before the CHE kicks back on. The humidity stays between 75-90%. The diet consists of greens like dandelion, baby arugula, hibiscus leaves,mallow, clover, cactus, plantain etc. And fruits like papaya, mango, prickly pear fruit and the occasional melon as a special treat. I also feed flowers like snapdragon, lilac and hibiscus. I also give protein once a week in the form of either mazuri, mushrooms, and occasionally black soldier fly larvae or captive bred earth worms.I sprinkle calcium twice a week and a multivitamin with d3 once a month. The substrate is orchid bark, there are hides on the cool and warm ends of the enclosure. This tortoise also lives separately from my others.
Hello there!
Our red foot sometimes makes clicking noises with her mouth, I’ve red a lot of red foot’s do, though that did sound quite loud on the video so I’m not 100% what to make of it, let’s see what others think.

Your temps aren’t too bad, though I’d try to get those high 70’s readings up slightly, and don’t let your humidity go below 80 anywhere either, is it a closed chamber you have them in?🙂
You might find it easier relying on ceramics 24/7 for your heating to achieve a better ambient of 80-86(82-84 being optimal)though if you suspect a slight RI you can have them in the 84-87 range, plus there’s no need for a warmer or cooler end with these guys.

Maybe you’ll find this thread below useful to read through😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Upon re reading your latest reply, am I right in saying you do just use a ceramic for your heat? If that’s the case, hang it in the middle instead to distribute the heat more evenly and take it off the timer, set your thermostat for around 82/84 and put the probe in one of the corners, perhaps your temps staying more stable will help fight any potential IR if there is one brewing, not to say there is but it won’t hurt🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
One of my northern redfoots is about 1.5 years old and has always made a squeak noise when it drinks or eats wet food. At first I was extremely nervous and contacted the breeder to let him know he made this noise, I also posted a thread on here( unfortunately the thread got combined with another i made regarding another tortoise of mine). I did get some responses saying it was a normal thing and not to worry so long as the tortoise didn't show any other signs of illness. He didn't show anything else, he eats fine, drinks and soaks himself in the water dish all the time and thermo regulates just fine. However now he makes the noise often even without eating or drinking and when he does he pulls his head back into his shell and opens and closes his mouth repeatedly making an almost grinding/squeaking noise. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Also I have video of it but cannot figure out how to post it. Is there a way to post video?
From the video you've posted, it looks like something is irritating him (in the mouth, eye, ear, nostrils, neck/shoulder area). Beak clicks after pulling his head are less of concern (I don't have much observations but my redfoot does exactly the same). I would carefully examine the areas I mentioned and make some close-up photos if possible - there is a reason for pulling head and it should be addressed.

Care and temperatures sounds good. I would rise temperatures (both night/day) by 2F. So nighttime lowest is 80F.

COmtnLady

Colorado
How often do you soak? Could she be dehydrated a bit so that its uncomfortable to retract her head? Mine only does that when there's a grass seed or something on her neck bothering her. Do you let water flow down onto her as her soak is filling? It might "wash" away whatever is making her do that, and mine loves to sit under the trickle of water.

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
Upon re reading your latest reply, am I right in saying you do just use a ceramic for your heat? If that’s the case, hang it in the middle instead to distribute the heat more evenly and take it off the timer, set your thermostat for around 82/84 and put the probe in one of the corners, perhaps your temps staying more stable will help fight any potential IR if there is one brewing, not to say there is but it won’t hurt🙂
The Ceramic heat emitter is my only source of heat, besides the uvb does put off a very small amount of heat but it's negligible. it also isn't on the timer, the uvb is the only one on a timer. it stays on 24/7 since I have it on a thermostat. I will raise the temps a few degrees like you've mentioned to see if it helps at all

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
How often do you soak? Could she be dehydrated a bit so that its uncomfortable to retract her head? Mine only does that when there's a grass seed or something on her neck bothering her. Do you let water flow down onto her as her soak is filling? It might "wash" away whatever is making her do that, and mine loves to sit under the
How often do you soak? Could she be dehydrated a bit so that its uncomfortable to retract her head? Mine only does that when there's a grass seed or something on her neck bothering her. Do you let water flow down onto her as her soak is filling? It might "wash" away whatever is making her do that, and mine loves to sit under the trickle of water.

I used to soak frequently, but as he's gotten older and after some advice from trusted members of the forum I don't soak everyday like I used to since it may be more detrimental then good. However I still soak them one to 2 times a week and I always wash the tortoise off when I do. I don't think he is dehydrated, since he drinks and soaks himself everyday in his large water dish, and in these warmer months I offer more foods that are higher in water content to make sure he stays good and hydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Ceramic heat emitter is my only source of heat, besides the uvb does put off a very small amount of heat but it's negligible. it also isn't on the timer, the uvb is the only one on a timer. it stays on 24/7 since I have it on a thermostat. I will raise the temps a few degrees like you've mentioned to see if it helps at all
As the enclosures gets larger, sometimes it helps to run two CHEs that are spread out to distribute the heat more evenly.

Soaking more than is "necessary" does not do any harm. You can soak and adult three times a day and it will do no harm whatsoever. It is not necessary to soak more often, but also not harmful.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ok thanks for clearing that up! Hope things improve🙂like Alex has said though, it could just be something irritating him and hopefully it’s gone now

Honeyman

Mount pleasant
As the enclosures gets larger, sometimes it helps to run two CHEs that are spread out to distribute the heat more evenly.

Soaking more than is "necessary" does not do any harm. You can soak and adult three times a day and it will do no harm whatsoever. It is not necessary to soak more often, but also not harmful.
That is good to know that the extra soaks don't hurt anything . I've seen that people say it doesn't do anything more then stress the animal and cause forced bowel movements but as always I trust your judgment and I know you have much more experience then I when it comes to our little shelled friends. What are your thoughts on the noise @Tom ?
i find it strange he acts normally in every other way, yet makes such a noise. I was wondering if it is being caused by dried food in his nares or maybe irritated skin. His eyes look fine, nice and clear and open fully, there is no nasal discharge either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your thoughts on the noise @Tom ?
i find it strange he acts normally in every other way, yet makes such a noise. I was wondering if it is being caused by dried food in his nares or maybe irritated skin. His eyes look fine, nice and clear and open fully, there is no nasal discharge either.
I don't know. If temps, activity and appetite are all good, I don't think you have a problem. The way he's throwing his head around makes it look like something is irritating him though. Have you checked for little mites or bugs of any kind? Fire ants? Mosquitos?