Redfoot feeding diary

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I'm going to try to post info and pics of what I'm feeding Darwin, my little redfoot tortoise, while he soaks everyday.

The idea is to try and keep track of the variety of foods I give him ... I'd love to hear from other redfoot owners with the same.

Today: 10/15/18 (eaten before I thought of it)

Kale, mango, butternut squash, strawberry, banana, blueberries

The kale made up about half of the total food, the mango and squash made up most of the rest ... I dusted the meal with Repti-vite.

He eats a fair amount while he soaks, then he, and the leftover food, goes back into the enclosure.

I'll try to keep posting, with pics, as time goes by ... would love to hear, and see, what other people see feeding their RFs.

Thanks,

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This morning it was cut grapes, cactus, hibiscus leaves and flowers and some Romaine.
Yesterday it was dog food and some Purselane from the yard.
Gotta watch the dog food because ants love it.
(Mine all live outdoors)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This week on the menu Kale, hibiscus leaves, grated squash, dandelion, mulberry leaf, papaya, and MazuriIMG_20181014_173445365.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_6542.jpg

10/16/18

Kale, mango, butternut squash, strawberry, scrambled egg with shell, Rep-Cal Tortoise Food ... after taking the picture, I dusted the meal with a bit of Zoo Med Reptivite.

Jamie

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
Breakfast for my 3. Baby Cherry Head and Redfoot get the one on the left and my adolescent Yellowfoot gets the breakfast on the right. Today breakfast consists of Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Papaya, Squash and Hard Boiled Egg with the shellDC8EB1F7-4C97-498F-89E6-1BB0F8EB54E3.jpeg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks, your post reminds me that I should add papaya to Darwin's diet ... the problem, that really isn't one, is that I hate the taste of papaya, but since he'll be the one eating it who cares ... ;

Jamie

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks, your post reminds me that I should add papaya to Darwin's diet ... the problem, that really isn't one, is that I hate the taste of papaya, but since he'll be the one eating it who cares ... ;

Jamie
Papaya is really good for Redfoots and it grows in their native habitat. Mine really likes it. It's pretty much his staple fruit.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
They actually taste like a watermelon almost if you get em at the right time. It's a very small window between not ripe, taste ok, and taste like garbage though.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_6554.jpg

10/17/18

Kale, strawberry, blueberry, mango, butternut squash, avocado, Rep-Cal, dried insects ... Repti-vite powder on top of it all after picture.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This week: Kale, mulberry leaf, dandelion, romaine, papaya, strawberry, mango, grated butternut squash.IMG_20181021_092045914.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoot is currently Sulking and pretending to be on a hunger strike (I caught him sneaking out and eating at night) because it's too cold for him to go outside now.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_6805.jpg

Today was papaya, kale, and freeze-dried insects.

Darwin went crazy for the papaya ... this was his first time trying it while living with me.

Jamie