RedFoot Tortoise - Shell Scutes Question

TomRedfoot

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Does anyone here have any experience with more or less scutes on the shells of their tortoise? I have a red foot with some odd scutes and was wondering how they will change as my tortoise will grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They don't change. What you see is what you got!

Kells Bells

Ireland
Does anyone here have any experience with more or less scutes on the shells of their tortoise? I have a red foot with some odd scutes and was wondering how they will change as my tortoise will grow.
Have you any pictures of your tort?

Kells Bells

Ireland
Think it might be female but I'm definitely no expert! Your tort has a nice smooth shell so no need to worry about odd scutes she's unique :D

TomRedfoot

United Kingdom
Think it might be female but I'm definitely no expert! Your tort has a nice smooth shell so no need to worry about odd scutes she's unique :D
Ahh I was leaning more towards of it being female because there wasn’t a curve on the bottom part of the shell.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes think I read somewhere you cant really be sure until they are about 3-5 years old. Again I'm no expert so I could be wrong. Maybe I should shut up now :)
I'm still new to sexing them but what I can tell you is mine was about exactly that size when I first posted about his sex and he was still too young to tell

TomRedfoot

United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies, your comments are appreciated.

The shop where I got my tortoise didn't really tell me the age of my tortoise but I'm thinking it must be at least two years old now