Redfoot Vomited?!?!?

texastortoisemom

Yesterday afternoon I fed my 4 year old Redfoot his lunch..he had some spring mix, some strawberries, a few pieces of cantaloupe, a couple of turkey pieces (small chunks of white meat) and a little piece of corn on the cob-I had an emergency so he didn't eat for a day prior, which is why I fed him a bit more (he eats A LOT). After he ate, a few hours later I noticed a large undigested piece of lettuce with some strawberry puree looking vomit mixed in. I have never, ever seen him do this and he stayed in his hide most of the night. When I took him out, he sits there with his front legs drawn in and just kind of bobs his head. He is usually really active so he just doesn't seem like himself..he was fine until he ate. Could it have been too much food? He has never had corn on the cob before and seemed to enjoy it. I am worried but would like to avoid a vet trip if possible-he had a URI a few years back and stressed out like crazy going to the vet. Thank you for any and all advice/input!!!

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
No idea but corn cob can cause blockages in many animals.

texastortoisemom

No idea but corn cob can cause blockages in many animals.
oh no :( if it did cause a blockage, will that pass naturally? My Desert tortoise and Boxie seem to love it with no problems but now I am thinking of just taking it out of rotation.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I hope so. I assumed it was something with the food since he was completely normal before hand. poor baby.
He might have bitten off a particularly large piece of something and it very well could have been corn cob. Vomiting probably dislodged it.
My adults eat corn on the cob. I only recently stopped feeding it because the corn cobs attract rats.

texastortoisemom

He might have bitten off a particularly large piece of something and it very well could have been corn cob. Vomiting probably dislodged it.
My adults eat corn on the cob. I only recently stopped feeding it because the corn cobs attract rats.
Now that you say that there were a few kernels of corn mixed in. He was going after it with some gusto too-he is a hearty little thing. If I let him, he would eat an entire bag of salad every day-:)