Reduced tortoise appetite

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hi everyone,

Yoshi is breaking my heart again!

The temperature in Ireland has gotten warmer, and because he’s in a vivarium it seems to have had a knock on effect on his appetite. He’s eating bits of what he likes (Dandelions mostly) and he’s not as active as he usually is. Every time I adjust the temperature to suit his environment the temperature outside either increases or decreases, which means I’m finding it hard to get his inside temperature consistent. I ordered a new table top, and it should be delivered tomorrow, but any advice that you could give me in the meantime to get him more active would be fantastic. Thank you so so much everyone!

Karen

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi everyone,

Yoshi is breaking my heart again!

The temperature in Ireland has gotten warmer, and because he’s in a vivarium it seems to have had a knock on effect on his appetite. He’s eating bits of what he likes (Dandelions mostly) and he’s not as active as he usually is. Every time I adjust the temperature to suit his environment the temperature outside either increases or decreases, which means I’m finding it hard to get his inside temperature consistent. I ordered a new table top, and it should be delivered tomorrow, but any advice that you could give me in the meantime to get him more active would be fantastic. Thank you so so much everyone!

Karen
Would you mind if we could possibly get a photo of your set up? It can be super helpful when advising🙂
Outside of that, if you could answer these questions it’ll be helpful for the other members to advise you further:

What are your temps? Both basking area and throughout? Day and night?
What’s your humidity levels like?
What size and kind of enclosure do you have?
Are you keeping them inside or outside?
And how is their diet?

Sorry if these are things you’ve already answered in previous threads, but it’ll be good to relay here
Hopefully some of the more experienced members come along for you soon! They’re all different time zones so hang tight😊

CaggyQ

Donegal
Hi everyone,

This is his current setup (due to change to an open top tomorrow because it’s being delivered tomorrow!). He’s definitely outgrown it. Also here are the temperatures (in degrees celsius).

I’m super worried about him, because he loves his food usually and he’s only nibbling.

He’s getting bathed three times a week too! Oh also, his substrate has changed because of delivery issues here in Ireland. He’s a fan of orchid bark but this is a different one that I don’t think is his jam.

I have bought him plants, orchid bark, a new lighting setup and some different stones for him to climb on. It’s also double in size so he’s going to have so much space!

🐢

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2572.jpeg
    IMG_2572.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
33C is a bit lower than you want for a basking zone - aim for 35-37C (or even 40C) under the lamp. If the rest of the enclosure gets too hot - you can open the air vents or leave a tiny gap in the front doors.

How old is the UVB lamp?
Does he poop? Any struggling doing this?
Where is his enclosure? Any sunlight there?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi everyone,

This is his current setup (due to change to an open top tomorrow because it’s being delivered tomorrow!). He’s definitely outgrown it. Also here are the temperatures (in degrees celsius).

I’m super worried about him, because he loves his food usually and he’s only nibbling.

He’s getting bathed three times a week too! Oh also, his substrate has changed because of delivery issues here in Ireland. He’s a fan of orchid bark but this is a different one that I don’t think is his jam.

I have bought him plants, orchid bark, a new lighting setup and some different stones for him to climb on. It’s also double in size so he’s going to have so much space!

🐢
Yeah I’m glad to hear you have something bigger coming as this is unfortunately too small, he ideally needs a 8 by 4 foot enclosure, may I ask what size it is you’re getting?
Other than that I would try raising the basking temp a bit, but making sure the entire enclosure doesn’t get too warm, it’s harder to do the smaller it is but not impossible, keep us in the loop🙂

CaggyQ

Donegal
You are all absolutely amazing. Thank you!

His new table run is 4ftx8ft, but that’s actually going to be temporary, because I intend on building him an even larger one once I move house. It’ll be his forever enclosure.

The UVB lamp is brand new, he’s pooping as normal when he has his baths. He’s in my hallway because he likes to check out the people coming in, and it’s a bright room. I could move him to the conservatory but I’m worried about when it gets cooler here in Ireland… and we’re colder more than we are warmer! 🙈

I’ll raise the temperature now and keep you all in the loop. I’m anxious to get his new run now because he deserves to go on some major adventures. His outdoor space is being built too! I’m just cautious to let him explore the gardens with me because he ate stones last summer. 😵‍💫

Do you ever feel like you’ve finally gotten a hang of being a tortoise parent and then something happens and you’re completely at sea again? That’s how I feel most of the time. 😂

Karen

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

His new table run is 4ftx8ft, but that’s actually going to be temporary, because I intend on building him an even larger one once I move house. It’ll be his forever enclosure.

The UVB lamp is brand new, he’s pooping as normal when he has his baths. He’s in my hallway because he likes to check out the people coming in, and it’s a bright room. I could move him to the conservatory but I’m worried about when it gets cooler here in Ireland… and we’re colder more than we are warmer! 🙈

I’ll raise the temperature now and keep you all in the loop. I’m anxious to get his new run now because he deserves to go on some major adventures. His outdoor space is being built too! I’m just cautious to let him explore the gardens with me because he ate stones last summer. 😵‍💫

Do you ever feel like you’ve finally gotten a hang of being a tortoise parent and then something happens and you’re completely at sea again? That’s how I feel most of the time. 😂

Karen
Oh, some great changes are coming! Try to place things from his old enclosure in the same place in the new one (I'm not 100% sure but this could help).

And yes, that's familiar feeling :) But I'll never trade them for a hamster :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

Karen
Aw that sounds amazing!! Definitely post photos once you have it set up! I love seeing different enclosure landscapes🥰

Good to hear he’s still pooping like normal! Is he still generally acting himself outside of eating less?

We’re also currently in the process of building a safe outside area! for our red foot to enjoy on our warmer days😁 we have to follow her around like her own personal bodyguard if we’ve got her out there at the moment😂we also have small stones at the back of the garden, would never want her going near them, so it’s good your getting your little guy a safe garden area too🥰I’d love to see that as well!

Lol I feel like a lot!! We recently upgraded and it was stressing me out to say the least doing all the tweaks😂

CaggyQ

Donegal
I will definitely send on his new space! I’m very excited for him. I’ve been chatting to him all week about his new home and he’s obviously got no idea what I’m on about 😂 I’m planning to put in some natural tortoise friendly plants in his enclosure as well, because he’s never had anything natural in the vivarium. That’s a really good point about keeping things in a similar space for him though! I never thought of that 😊

Please send me all the photos of your outside spaces and inside spaces! I’d love inspiration 🥰

I understand following your tortoise around the garden. I genuinely do not trust that he won’t get himself into any trouble. Although he does adore hanging out with my Shih Tzu and he’s happy to stop stomping around and just bathe in the sun with her (see pic attached). Both very much under supervision though… mainly because I saw Yoshi trying to take a bite of her fur and I don’t fancy another trip to the vet for an ingested fur ball 😂

I’d never trade him for a hamster at all. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Sounds lovely! Can’t wait to see photos🥰
I’ll try and find some of ours to attach😊

Bless them! I’m glad their hang out time is closely supervised, there’s been so many horror stories on this forum from tortoise and dogs hanging out, I definitely wouldn’t want to take my eyes off of them when together🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Found some😊we’ve switched some of her hides round and are in the midst of getting some live plants in there, so it’s a working progress, but hopefully it’s a little inspo for some decor etc🙂
Side note, she has a large terracotta water dish, that corner one is just an extra hydration station lol

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

CaggyQ

Donegal
Sounds lovely! Can’t wait to see photos🥰
I’ll try and find some of ours to attach😊

Bless them! I’m glad their hang out time is closely supervised, there’s been so many horror stories on this forum from tortoise and dogs hanging out, I definitely wouldn’t want to take my eyes off of them when together🙂
Oh definitely! My dog isn’t the type to pick any animal up (as a side note, she also has no teeth - she’s 12 😂) but I wouldn’t put it past her doing some sort of random zoomie with Yoshi being in the way. Plus, I always think that responsible pet ownership is always about supervision… you can’t assume “nothing” will ever happen 😉

CaggyQ

Donegal
Found some😊we’ve switched some of her hides round and are in the midst of getting some live plants in there, so it’s a working progress, but hopefully it’s a little inspo for some decor etc🙂
Side note, she has a large terracotta water dish, that corner one is just an extra hydration station lol
Oh my god! She’s beautiful 😍🥰 I love her interior decor, and I see she’s a fan of the same substrate as Yoshi. Question… did you put stones in her water dish to avoid any accidents? If so, that’s an amazing idea! Yoshi likes to jump off everything so I’ve always been worked about his hydration stations 😂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Senior dogs have my heart omg😭❤️you sound an awesome owner!

Thank you, we adore her very much🥰I personally opted to put the stones in that water dish, because outside of a terracotta saucer, I worry about dishes with less traction being a hazard in the event she tripped and flipped somehow, thought if I'm being honest, for her size vs this dish I don’t think it would be a danger(I definitely wouldn’t put it with a smaller tort)but I go with the belts and braces approach with her safely lol

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Tbh as a general rule of thumb I’d always recommend large terracottas for water dishes because they’re considered the absolute safest! after monitoring squirt around this one though I could see it was going to be ok for her, especially with the stones🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
lol also this was one of the spider plants days later🤣
I’m going to be putting in some new plants that are safe but she hopefully finds less palatable😂

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

CaggyQ

Donegal
The poor spider plants never stood a chance 😂 you are such a fab tortoise owner!

And thank you so much! I love all animals and I feel very lucky to rehome all that I can. Although my poor doggie has been subjected to far too many photoshoots now, so she’s a bit of a diva! I won’t even start trying that with Yoshi: he has very clear boundaries 😂

I actually have a big terracotta plate that I’ll collect from the shed in the morning! I have lots of enrichment items and I swap them round every time I clean out his enclosure. I haven’t included the plate in a while though because he had taken to trying to flip it over. He’s pretty stubborn too and doesn’t tend to forget a plan 🤣 I do love the stone idea and I may just give that a go 👀

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The poor spider plants never stood a chance 😂 you are such a fab tortoise owner!

And thank you so much! I love all animals and I feel very lucky to rehome all that I can. Although my poor doggie has been subjected to far too many photoshoots now, so she’s a bit of a diva! I won’t even start trying that with Yoshi: he has very clear boundaries 😂

I actually have a big terracotta plate that I’ll collect from the shed in the morning! I have lots of enrichment items and I swap them round every time I clean out his enclosure. I haven’t included the plate in a while though because he had taken to trying to flip it over. He’s pretty stubborn too and doesn’t tend to forget a plan 🤣 I do love the stone idea and I may just give that a go 👀
They absolutely didn’t🤣I anticipate the new ones I’ve ordered for her will be destroyed pretty quickly also lol, but I’m just hoping she’ll give one a chance to grow for a bit🤞🏻😂
Haha oh I love a good pet photoshoot! I do the same with all ours😂❤️
Yeah I love what stubborn little creatures they are haha, I don’t know how people wrestle with full grown sulcatas when they’re refusing to move and such!😅Squirt is a nice manageable size as is your little guy bless him🥰

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I will definitely send on his new space! I’m very excited for him. I’ve been chatting to him all week about his new home and he’s obviously got no idea what I’m on about 😂 I’m planning to put in some natural tortoise friendly plants in his enclosure as well, because he’s never had anything natural in the vivarium. That’s a really good point about keeping things in a similar space for him though! I never thought of that 😊

Please send me all the photos of your outside spaces and inside spaces! I’d love inspiration 🥰

I understand following your tortoise around the garden. I genuinely do not trust that he won’t get himself into any trouble. Although he does adore hanging out with my Shih Tzu and he’s happy to stop stomping around and just bathe in the sun with her (see pic attached). Both very much under supervision though… mainly because I saw Yoshi trying to take a bite of her fur and I don’t fancy another trip to the vet for an ingested fur ball 😂

I’d never trade him for a hamster at all. 😊
You can check Media on this forum for ideas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/media/categories/tortoise-enclosures.3/ (and also specie-related categories - there are a lot of beautiful setups there).

This one is another great enclosure: https://data.www.tortoiseforum.org/avatars/o/164/164970.jpg?1717708566 (yep, it's an avatar picture :) )

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK