Reinforcing a Suburban Privacy Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience or thoughts on reinforcing a privacy fence in a suburban neighborhood. It is a pretty standard privacy fence and is well installed, but it is NOT completely flush with the ground most of the way around. (Close though, the tortoise would have to dig a little to get out but could probably extend it's legs through.) Additionally the neighbors have a couple of large dogs, so security is extra important.

Considering that Rasputin is just now 6" long and only weighs 2 lbs, it will be awhile before he has free reign of the yard so I have plenty of time to plan for the day when it is necessary. Because of this, I am absolutely prioritizing appearance over expense so give me any ideas you've got. (And obvious functionality is the most important thing.)

I appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I have a similar problem, but luckily my tortoises are still small and I have time to build my large enclosure slowly. My husband and I decided that we would dig down two feet and build a cinder block wall in the trench. The wall will be 4ft total, but with only two feet showing. I plan on buying bamboo fencing to go around the perimeter of the fencing for extra protection. My friend used concrete slabs that were torn up in construction and painted them to look more appealing. I plan on painting the cinder blocks that are showing so they look more natural and ascetically pleasing.
Looking forward to seeing some awesome ideas.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Hi from your neighbor to the south (although I grew up around Dallas). I imagine you have the same wood privacy fence they use all over. When I replaced mine a while back, I put a "rot board" on the bottom. This is a simply a 1x6 or a 2x6 which lays along the ground and then you put the pickets on top of that. It helps your fence last longer, but it also makes for a nice barrier. I actually dug down and put my boards 1 or so inches in the ground and now I have a very secure backyard for my guys to roam around in. I also screwed a board on one side of the door opening so that it swivels down to block the opening if somebody leaves the door open, but I can rotate it up and out of the path to move things through the door.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can also buy enough masonry caps to lay along the bottom of the fence all the way around the tortoise habitat. Masonry caps are rectangular stepping stones that are manufactured for use on top of cinder blocks. This is what I've used in my tortoise pens. The tortoises aren't smart enough to understand that they need to dig under the stones...they go right up next to the fence to dig.

07-11-13_zps7fa3c243.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
You can also buy enough masonry caps to lay along the bottom of the fence all the way around the tortoise habitat. Masonry caps are rectangular stepping stones that are manufactured for use on top of cinder blocks. This is what I've used in my tortoise pens. The tortoises aren't smart enough to understand that they need to dig under the stones...they go right up next to the fence to dig.

theres that age old wisdom talking ....! ... :p:D:p

Great forethought and follow thru .... and excellent advice! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
lynnedit said:
I have used Yvonne's idea with great success. The tortoises seem to like to use it as a walk way as well.

I saw this product on another forum. It is pounded in at the base of the fence. It isn't cheap, but would also help protect against digging predators, if that were an issue.

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies....NWS001&Product_Code=DDAC-CG-40&Category_Code=

I saw that product as well and wondered about it. Given that I do not plan on moving or saying goodbye to the tortoise any time soon, I might be able to look past the cost. I think I'd really want to see it somewhere in person first though.

Additionally I wonder if the tortoise could get any appendages caught between the spikes and cause damage... did the other forum have any posters that actually used it? What did they think?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
ra94131 said:
Additionally I wonder if the tortoise could get any appendages caught between the spikes and cause damage... did the other forum have any posters that actually used it? What did they think?

The person who recommended it was Julie Maguire on the Russian yahoo group. She runs http://turtlerescues.com/index.htm
Remarkably, I found the link (you might have to be a member of the group to see it?):
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RussianTortoise/message/113317

Here is what she says:
"Got a link and wanted to share with all of you this new product that looks
like it will be a great barrier for our burrowing turtles and tortoises. The
owner of the company said for burrowing tortoises he suggest keeping a
couple of inches above ground with one and pounding another in below all the
way down but that could get real expensive. I'm thinking if your fencing is
low enough to the ground then one should do it. So much easier than burying
hardware cloth or snow fencing, just pound it down.

http://www.totalwildlifecontrol.com/products/dig-defence-wildlife-prevention.htm\"

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
lynnedit said:
ra94131 said:

The person who recommended it was Julie Maguire on the Russian yahoo group. She runs http://turtlerescues.com/index.htm
Remarkably, I found the link (you might have to be a member of the group to see it?):
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RussianTortoise/message/113317

Here is what she says:
"Got a link and wanted to share with all of you this new product that looks
like it will be a great barrier for our burrowing turtles and tortoises. The
owner of the company said for burrowing tortoises he suggest keeping a
couple of inches above ground with one and pounding another in below all the
way down but that could get real expensive. I'm thinking if your fencing is
low enough to the ground then one should do it. So much easier than burying
hardware cloth or snow fencing, just pound it down.

http://www.totalwildlifecontrol.com/products/dig-defence-wildlife-prevention.htm\"

Thank you. Great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.