Repti Bark Arrived Damp

Reggie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Wayne In
It's me again. We have been working on the new space for our leopard tortoise, Reggie, for several weeks. Many of you have offered excellent adivce to help us along. We ordered Repti Bark for the substrate early on and just opened the boxes tonight to begin putting it down. Several of the bags are very damp inside and the bark has a definite smell that the dry bags don't have. I could smell it as soon as i opened the bag. I'm concerned about damp bark sitting in a plastic bag for weeks and worried about using it in Reggie's hide. Should I use it or return it? Is this normal to receive Repti Bark damp?

Thank you for your help..

Reggie

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne In
My concern would be what is it damp with?
I've never bought Reptibark. Is it completely dry in the bag?
Good point about what it is damp with. The boxes it shipped in have no indication of dampness and the bags do not seem to be open or punctured. This is our first time using Repti Bark. We chose it because there were great reviews for it on the Forum. Most of the bags have completely dry bark. I wouldn't think it would be good for it to sit in the bag damp for so long. I sure don't want to harm my tortoise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's me again. We have been working on the new space for our leopard tortoise, Reggie, for several weeks. Many of you have offered excellent adivce to help us along. We ordered Repti Bark for the substrate early on and just opened the boxes tonight to begin putting it down. Several of the bags are very damp inside and the bark has a definite smell that the dry bags don't have. I could smell it as soon as i opened the bag. I'm concerned about damp bark sitting in a plastic bag for weeks and worried about using it in Reggie's hide. Should I use it or return it? Is this normal to receive Repti Bark damp?

I have never seen the "Repti-Bark" brand sold in pet stores damp. I buy my orchid bark in bulk in 2.0 cu. ft. bags from the nursery and it is always damp. I store it in my barn for months and it is always damp when I go to use it.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

Depending upon the amount of moisture in the bark when it was sealed in the bag, it could be condensing a bit. When I purchase mulch for my gardens, I have the same issue. Some bags are dry, others are moist.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
damp substrate wouldn't bother me. Especially since you'll be regularly adding moisture anyway.

If you are concerned about the bedding that will be in the hide, use the dry bags there and the damp ones spread around the room. It's going to dry out in no time. Eventually you'll struggle with dust and be working to re-create the "damp days" LOL

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
When I purchased my Cypress munch online, it come moist as long as the bags are sealed. I've had extra bags that stayed moist that were stored for a month or two.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Im sure it’s just been packed moist, has sat somewhere with high temps maybe & moisture never evaporated. Most ppl take it out and soak it & use. Unless it smells other than “earthy”, I’m sure it’s fine.