Rescued russian tortoise

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Can I get them on amazon or at a garden center... I want to get it today if possible...

Can I put newspaper down for the time being or something.. going to get rid of it now.. that is what the last owner had in her housing so I taught it was the right stuff
Sorry, I'm late with a reply... Coco coir bricks are sold in most garden centers.

Cypress mulch and orchid bark are more likely to be found in plant nurseries. However, there is a twist with orchid bark in EU/UK - it's often a pine bark, which is toxic to tortoises (in US you can get orchid bark from Douglas fir trees which is safe). I'm desperately trying to gather information now on what kind of trees are used for reptile-marketed bark substrates (maybe some of these "pines" are safe, Douglas fir is pine too, after all).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Sorry, I'm late with a reply... Coco coir bricks are sold in most garden centers.

Cypress mulch and orchid bark are more likely to be found in plant nurseries. However, there is a twist with orchid bark in EU/UK - it's often a pine bark, which is toxic to tortoises (in US you can get orchid bark from Douglas fir trees which is safe). I'm desperately trying to gather information now on what kind of trees are used for reptile-marketed bark substrates (maybe some of these "pines" are safe, Douglas fir is pine too, after all).
I myself am in the midst of research on this being from the uk! I’ve reached out to multiple brands and suppliers of orchid bark and have yet to get a response😣

Danajmc

Ireland
Hopefully you can grab a saucer soon🙂

I’d be very careful letting her free roam, it’s generally discouraged for numerous reasons.
Being away from their heat source means they’re being exposed to temperatures that are too low quite often.
If you have smooth surfaces like laminate flooring, it will wreak havoc on their hip joints over time.

Im not saying there’s not measures you can take to make it safer and always be sure to be in the room monitoring, I’d personally discourage it but I understand you wanting to let her stretch her legs more whilst she’s in that small tank.

There’s are things to bare in mind, harmful floor cleaners, foreign objects being swallowed, getting stuck under things they shouldn’t like shelving or sofas, low temperatures, no uv, getting hit by doors, one member has mentioned they knew someone who’s tort got their head crushed in a door jam😣, flipping hazards.. all reasons close supervision is key and why a free roam indoors should be limited.
They feel most comfortable in a place that best mimics their environment🙂indoor free roams over time isn’t good for them.

Ultimately a safe, large enough enclosure will be the goal, hopefully we can all help with any queries setting that up and follow your progress🥰
If you have a nice chemical free garden, perhaps you can set something up for her out there to enjoy during warmer days🙂as long as there’s lots of shady spots👍

I see what you mean about her hips, she's not walking upright on legs.. I'll stop doing that until I can set up a proper roaming area for her...

I sectioned off a small area of my room for that so there was no where for to go or get stuck.

Currently redoing garden for an out inclosed too and flower bed for her food...

Thanks for letting me know about the floors, l don't want to hurt my new baby bit ill get there.. it's definitely a learning curve..

Currently looking for a mentor of sorts in my area or close by in my county so I can chat with then too...
Thanks for all the help.... 🥰🥰

Danajmc

Ireland
I can’t seem to find orchid bark on the site?

It has the coco coir brick, all the cypress mulch and orchid bark I found had fertilise in it for seeding flowers..

Was told to see if flower nursery has orchid bark but I'd have to the Nursery near me to if I could get some off them because they sont have a website...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It has the coco coir brick, all the cypress mulch and orchid bark I found had fertilise in it for seeding flowers..

Was told to see if flower nursery has orchid bark but I'd have to the Nursery near me to if I could get some off them because they sont have a website...
Oh I’m with you, yeah from what I can see the coir looks fine on there👍, I’m definitely finding it tricky to be certain on bulk sources of orchid bark currently but will definitely update members on my research, it’s making sure what trees it’s sourced from and if anything else has been added that wouldn’t be safe.

Forest floor is safe and can be brought in relatively big bags, it’s not entirely cheap depending where you order, but would work well as a layer over top of the coir🙂

Danajmc

Ireland
Oh I’m with you, yeah from what I can see the coir looks fine on there👍, I’m definitely finding it tricky to be certain on bulk sources of orchid bark currently but will definitely update members on my research, it’s making sure what trees it’s sourced from and if anything else has been added that wouldn’t be safe.

Forest floor is safe and can be brought in relatively big bags, it’s not entirely cheap depending where you order, but would work well as a layer over top of the coir🙂

Can't get forest floor on amazon UK... some say not delivered to my address or delivery and tax in more than the cost of the substrate it's self...

Going to get coco coir for now and look into the others later...

Can I grow normal grass in her outside inclosed or does it have to be substrate too?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Can't get forest floor on amazon UK... some say not delivered to my address or delivery and tax in more than the cost of the substrate it's self...

Going to get coco coir for now and look into the others later...

Can I grow normal grass in her outside inclosed or does it have to be substrate too?
Fair enough, coir will work fine🙂

Yes normal grass for an outdoor enclosure is fine too, just make sure it’s a pesticide and fertiliser free area😊