Rescued Sulcata WARNING!! GRAPHIC PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
RE: Rescued Sulcata

Have you tried carrot shavings? The orange color might do it although once you get him eating he should eat mostly grass.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

Missy said:
Have you tried carrot shavings? The orange color might do it although once you get him eating he should eat mostly grass.

Even as a baby?

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

ChiKat said:
Missy said:

Even as a baby?

That's how we first got Buddy to eat; someone on here suggested boiled carrots and squash...and it worked like a charm. He was very attracted to orange and yellow foods. I would definitely give it a try, and when boiled like that it's very easy for them to sink their tiny beak-mouth into.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL

He arrived safely to his forever home in California this morning. I'm sure Kelly will have lots of pictures and updates for us soon :)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

Yes! The little guy (now named "Cricket", formerly known as "Lumpy") arrived this morning just before 10am!

He is so tiny, yet so cute and full of personality!

I put him in his indoor enclosure for a few hours, then decided to take him outside in the sunlight to try feeding him and soaking him. He did not enjoy his soak, but he loved his meal of Spring Mix and ate 4 PIECES (being hand fed)! Then while he was roaming around, he plucked a leaf off a weed and ate that too.

Thank you so much, Katie, for taking such wonderful care of him and getting him off to a good start! I absolutely love him and will take very good care of him.

He is going to see our vet ASAP, as he does have a bubbly nose and keeps rubbing his nose on his front legs.

I let him roam around the front yard (my other tortoises have access to the backyard), and I sat outside with him for well over an hour carefully watching him while he explored. He loved stretchling his legs out and laying out in the warm sunlight.

I just put him back inside and he was just sitting there like "Hey! What the hell did you do that for?". I will have to work on his outdoor enclosure so he can stay out longer!

Here are some pictures of his first day in California!

CricketTortoise013.jpg

CricketTortoise012.jpg

CricketTortoise026.jpg

CricketTortoise023.jpg

CricketTortoise022.jpg

CricketTortoise021.jpg

CricketTortoise018.jpg

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL

I'm so happy he's eating! We decided to ship him even with the bubbly nose since he was still active and eating, I didn't even see any symptoms until the day before we made arrangements to ship him. Definitely keep us updated on what the vet says and thank you for giving him a good home!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

BuddysParents said:
ChiKat said:
Missy said:

Even as a baby?

That's how we first got Buddy to eat; someone on here suggested boiled carrots and squash...and it worked like a charm. He was very attracted to orange and yellow foods. I would definitely give it a try, and when boiled like that it's very easy for them to sink their tiny beak-mouth into.

Sorry for the confusion, I was asking if he should mostly be eating grass as a baby...I didn't think that was until they got older.

Anyways, YAY Cricket!! He looks happy in his new home :)
I loved the pictures, keep them coming! And definitely keep us posted on the vet visit!

S

Scooter

He looks very happy in his new forever home. Please keep us posted on him, he is so cute!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

So nice to read such an upbeat and happy thread!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Jacqui said:
So nice to read such an upbeat and happy thread!
Give me a minute I think I can ruin it. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Poor thing, even his face is crooked. Carrots aren't good for Sulcata. You might try radicchio. My babies eat that first. I know other's disagree but for my small tortoises like him, (and right now I have 8), I cut the food up and makes a kind of a salad with many different lettuces and small pieces for his small mouth. But the red radicchio goes first. All of my babies love to be hand fed, but they also eat on their own. He's barely started in life and already wrong. He sure is a cute active guy tho. I am glad you have him, he sure looks loaded with personality. A really cute curious face. A miniature Bob...:)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

Thanks for the info Maggie!

For my other hatchlings, I rip up the lettuce into smaller pieces and they eat it that way. They rarely will eat anything via hand feeding if I offer it.

This little guy has problems getting his face to the ground, so it's hard for him to get smaller pieces (and when he tries, he fails, and then walks away), but it's definately something I would like to work with him on though.

He is seeing the vet on Monday.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA

What an adorable little Sulcata he is and I love his name. He looks so happy and hungry. :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

I love this thread...my daughter would make me buy this guy if she saw him...she ALWAYS roots for the underdog...me too:D

BTW, scour your yard for dandelion...flowers and greens...mine were eating them at 2 months.

And another thing...watch out for crows when he's outside....he's been through enough already.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Regarding cutting up the food, I heard someone say that it toughens up the neck muscles, when you feed it to them whole instead of cut up. I could not spell streghthen so I used toughen up, I still spelled it wrong.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

DeanS said:
I love this thread...my daughter would make me buy this guy if she saw him...she ALWAYS roots for the underdog...me too:D

BTW, scour your yard for dandelion...flowers and greens...mine were eating them at 2 months.

And another thing...watch out for crows when he's outside....he's been through enough already.

Of course, I sit right next to him when he's outside and follow him all over. I have more pictures that I will post later! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

My babies have always had an easier time ripping off chunks from a whole leaf. I cant seem to mince it small enough for hatchlings with out it turning to mush. They expertly cut out little bite size chunks using the weight of the whole leaf to pull against. When they get to a large vein that they cant bite through they eat around it. I've always raised my babies this way and no problems with it so far.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

South FL Katie said:
How is Cricket doing today? Have the nose bubbles cleared up?

He is doing very well! I thought the bubbles cleared up, but saw another one today. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.