Rest and Recovery :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Dante was being extra cute today for the camera, and I'm so happy about a milestone he reached today, so I thought I'd share.

First though, his cute pictures:
"Hello!"
IMG_1432_zps1b0a8e87.jpg

Resting on his rock...
IMG_1437_zps5d50bb40.jpg

Two major side effects of Dante's prolonged antibiotic treatment - 1) His suppressed appetite and 2) His newfound refusal to eat in his enclosure (I think because he associated it with getting his medicine).

For...at least the last month or two I've had to take Dante out twice a day (before and after work) and set him up in the living room with a plate of food so he would eat. It's been pretty stressful, because he's struggling to keep weight on, and missing a feeding means he won't eat all day (he would NOT touch food in his enclosure) and therefore lose more weight.

It's been quite the burden, but I love him, so of course I'l do anything :) It's been 2 weeks since the end of his treatment, and today I got home from being out all day, ready to take him out to eat - but he was already eating!!! It seems like a small thing, but it's the first time he's eaten without my intervention in a long while, and I feel like a HUGE weight has been taken off my shoulders :) It also means that he really is improving post-antibiotics and hopefully will be as fat as a Thanksgiving turkey soon enough (after all this, I'd rather have a super plump tortoise!)

I just wanted to share, since most times I post it's because of an issue! I'm sure he'll give me reason to worry again soon enough, but tonight- no more grey hairs!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
YA, CONGRATS, THAT IS FANTASTIC. LOVE to hear about the improvements. Keep up the good work.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Congratulations!!! So glad all your hard work paid off with a healthy, happy, HUNGRY tort!!! :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Well in another good news update, Dante has continued to eat on his own and is acting like a true teenager, I mean TORTOISE, again. Now that he doesn't 'need' me to eat, he's been sleeping in and going to bed early, and grazing all day while I'm at work. I hardly see him now!! A bit of a shock after the last two months! I almost feel like an empty-nester :) But I'm happy that he's happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.