Rockys perfectly smooth growing shell

Nicole edwards

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
image.jpg
image.jpg
Not to brag but I'm pretty excited about how smoothly I've got rockys shell growing! From saving him from a flea market and having no idea how to care for a Sulcata I did all of my research and finally got him healthy and growing smoothly after a few tough bumps in the road. First picture is from when I got him. I'm so attached to this little guy :<3::D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG that is some of the worse pyramiding I have ever seen. :eek::p
Of course I'm kidding, April Fool You are doing a very good job with him. Keep up the good work.:)
Btw, is he being house closed chamber? If not, please let us know what it is you are doing, please:D

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
OMG that is some of the worse pyramiding I have ever seen. :eek::p
Of course I'm kidding, April Fool You are doing a very good job with him. Keep up the good work.:)
Btw, is he being house closed chamber? If not, please let us know what it is you are doing, please:D
He is actually housed in an open chamber with no humidifiers at all. He get 30 minutes soaking twice a day in the morning and at night and I've had very good results doing this. I know everyone is opposed to the open chamber but it's working well for me

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He is actually housed in an open chamber with no humidifiers at all. He get 30 minutes soaking twice a day in the morning and at night and I've had very good results doing this. I know everyone is opposed to the open chamber but it's working well for me

Not everyone is opposed dear... What part of the world do you live in? How often does the tortoise get outside sun time? Do you offer any warm humid hides within the enclosure? What is a normal diet for the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it works then not really opposed. For most it doesn't work. I too would like to know the answers that ascott asked. Everything you can tell us about the temps in and out of the enclosure. The natural humidity percentage in your house, his enclosure and outside. Everything you can tell us about his care, housing and your area will help others with similar conditions to do the same as you, if a closed chamber is not their choice. Sorry to want to pick your brain, but knowing everything, is really the only way to be able to know if it would work for others.

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Not everyone is opposed dear... What part of the world do you live in? How often does the tortoise get outside sun time? Do you offer any warm humid hides within the enclosure? What is a normal diet for the tortoise?
I live in mississippi and it's still a little cool here so he only gets out for a little on the warm weekends we do have. He does not have a humid hide he stays under a Mercury uvb bulb and basking bulb during the day and at night I have a ceramic heating bulb. He eats a big viraty of grasses and weeds every other day I soak and sprinkle Mazuri on top.

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
If it works then not really opposed. For most it doesn't work. I too would like to know the answers that ascott asked. Everything you can tell us about the temps in and out of the enclosure. The natural humidity percentage in your house, his enclosure and outside. Everything you can tell us about his care, housing and your area will help others with similar conditions to do the same as you, if a closed chamber is not their choice. Sorry to want to pick your brain, but knowing everything, is really the only way to be able to know if it would work for others.
The natural humidity in my home is around 20% and that's what it stays at in his home. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but every few days I clean his shell real good with a toothbrush and warm water to get all of the dirt and bedding dust off. I can't really think of anything else

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I live in mississippi and it's still a little cool here so he only gets out for a little on the warm weekends we do have. He does not have a humid hide he stays under a Mercury uvb bulb and basking bulb during the day and at night I have a ceramic heating bulb. He eats a big viraty of grasses and weeds every other day I soak and sprinkle Mazuri on top.

The average humidity in that state is good....can get extreme periodically throughout the year....this is also likely some of the environment that the tortoise is benefiting from without the human having to add too much....keep in mind for contrast....I live in Southern California...the High Desert to be exact...and we have about 10 percent humidity or less for about 8 or 9 months of the year...keep in mind we may have a few months from time to time that the humidity spikes over 80 percent for short periods of time..

I would wonder if you offered a warm humid hide, one that is kept warm and humid day and night, if that tort of yours would mosey in and out of it as part of an additional micro climate, you know what I mean? But hey, if what you are doing is doing what you want and the tort is happy and healthy, then that is the most important thing you know?

Cute tort by the way :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Oh yeah....the diet seems good....along with the hydration and the occasional supplemental food item of Mazuri...sounds good...