Rose Of Sharon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Poconos, PA
I know it's listed as edible, but is it the whole plant, flower only or leaves only?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Flowers and leaves. I like leaving the nice blooms on it for the humans and then the second day picking them off for the tortoises. If you miss feeding some of them and they fall to the ground all dead and brown, the tortoises still love those too. In the fall if you collect the seeds, you can plant them and let your tortoise eat the young sprouts, too. :cool:

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Thanks! I put a flower and a few leaves in for Leroy. He came running over and ate the flower rather quickly. He didn't care for the leaves, but he may eat them later.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
This has become one of my favorites. There was lots of talk about it here, seeds being exchanged and then I went in the backyard and was happy to find it was growing there!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The leaves are not a big favorite here either. Peter.... nice when things happen like that, isn't it?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
The leaves are not a big favorite here either. Peter.... nice when things happen like that, isn't it?

Yup! Also have a fig tree or two that I never realized.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm with Jacqui on this...I love to watch it bloom...and enjoy it for awhile...then feed it to the beasts! However...I have two eight fott hedges (that's how I trained them)...and I pretty much pluck one dry that isn't visible to passers by...and it works out to about 6 blooms a day for everybody! FLOWERS and LEAVES...but Aladar will take a branch if he gets the chance. ;)

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
I'll be giving him more flowers now that I know he enjoys them. He even liked them more than hibiscus.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic. Mine all love them. The rose of sharon is actually a species of hibiscus. The huge ones you get are the south african species that are more tropical and the rose of sharon species is more cold tolerant of the hibiscus species. There are a numerous amounts of species acutally. Just the most common ones are the big ones, and rose of sharon. :D feed them up.

Luckie

5 Year Member
I just bought a Rose of Sharon shrub today... it's not even planted yet but my dog was attempting to eat the leaves!! I figured that was a good sign that it was going to be a big hit with the tortoises!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.