Roses

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Do you have a 99 cent sore? they sell the mini roses, that is what is i n m,y yard, granted it is like 10 years old, and very large, but my tortoise likes it.
You don't date? ok, keep denying, I am sure we all believe you. :)

niklas anderson

You don't have to use a potato you can just stick it in the soil and the honey feeds it because propagation can really stress out a plant and will need extra nourishment.apart from honey you can use sugar, cinnamon,fish or fish oil, you can even use reptile calcium.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Do you have a 99 cent sore? they sell the mini roses, that is what is i n m,y yard, granted it is like 10 years old, and very large, but my tortoise likes it.
You don't date? ok, keep denying, I am sure we all believe you. :)
No, but the Dollar Store is right around the corner! :D Did you plant it outdoors straightaway? I feel like my sulcata would kill the thing! :confused:
Believe it.
upload_2014-11-24_22-36-53.png

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You don't have to use a potato you can just stick it in the soil and the honey feeds it because propagation can really stress out a plant and will need extra nourishment.apart from honey you can use sugar, cinnamon,fish or fish oil, you can even use reptile calcium.
Wow! I never thought of it like that! Honey has moisture, too, but I'll have to try it out with plain sugar, too! I'll need to snip off a couple buds tomorrow... do I ever water it? Or no, until there's roots?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I never plant anything right away, fertilizers and everything. I potted it, waited a year and then planted it. It has become a cheap, and plentiful food source, the only better food source I have, is my grape plants, naturally.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I never plant anything right away, fertilizers and everything. I potted it, waited a year and then planted it. It has become a cheap, and plentiful food source, the only better food source I have, is my grape plants, naturally.
What about grass? ;)
I need to try this!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
grass? Like lawn grass, right? my sulcata tears up the st. augustine like a mad man. Water turtles can eat grass, as well, mine do whenever I mowed the back yard,

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Valentines day is on the way. The days afterward all those mini rose bushes are on sale for half off or less. That's a good time to buy them. Tortoises don't mind waiting until all the systemic poisons cycle through. Their feelings aren't hurt if they don't get love tokens according to a set calendar date.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep. There was a long time I didn't either. Back on topic. I just asked my neighbor for a wilted rose on one of her bushes and my tortoises did NOT touch it. You think because it wasn't fresh?
Probably. If I even 'try' to give any one of mine something slightly wilted, I can just see it right now! Sniff it... turn their nose and refuse to eat it.
'How DARE you feed me this despicable thing? I can't touch that!' :D
Maybe ask her for a fresh one and see if they'll eat that.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Not all tortoises will eat roses, most do, my russians, and rf won't touch them, go figure!