Roses

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I was gifted roses which I'm assuming were from giant food store. Are these ok to feed my Russian tort or do they have some kind of pesticides in them that could harm her? Thank you for the help!

Bambam1989

East Texas
If it was a bouquet of roses than definitely not. They spray pesticides as well as pump chemical fertilizers into those. If it is a live "potted" rose then you would need to remove as much of the original soil from the roots as possible and the replant it. Wait a few months before offering any new growth to ensure that it is safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Were these roses given as a floral bouquet, or were they grown specifically for human consumption? I've never seen them for sale for human consumption.

Roses are okay to feed only if they are grown with out all the typical chemicals and preservatives. Unless you grow them yourself, I don't know how you could be sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it was a bouquet of roses than definitely not. They spray pesticides as well as pump chemical fertilizers into those. If it is a live "potted" rose then you would need to remove as much of the original soil from the roots as possible and the replant it. Wait a few months before offering any new growth to ensure that it is safe.
The systemic pesticides that decorative flowers and plants are grown with can last a year in the plant's tissues. Even after the offending soil is removed.