Roses

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I've always heard that roses were fine, but I was wondering if it was all kinds. We have some called knock out roses around her that do great all year around and bloom pretty much all year around too but they grow like weeks and I was thinking of planting a few in the enclosure if they were indeed safe. Anyone know for sure?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Roses (Rosa rugosa or R. gallica officinalis) - Flavors depend on type, color, and soil conditions. Flavor reminiscent of strawberries and green apples. Sweet, with subtle undertones ranging from fruit to mint to spice. All roses are edible, with the flavor being more pronounced in the darker varieties. In miniature varieties can garnish ice cream and desserts, or larger petals can be sprinkled on desserts or salads. Freeze them in ice cubes and float them in punches also. Petals used in syrups, jellies, perfumed butters and sweet spreads. NOTE: Be sure to remove the bitter white portion of the petals.

Here is the site this is from;

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Yum... That makes me want to eat some rose petals. I was planning on adding climbing roses to the outdoor enclosure so I am glad they mentioned all roses are edible. We have tons of wild roses around here I wonder if that is included in the all types are edible.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Thanks! Im excited for spring. I have a bunch of seeds and stuff on the way!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Knock outs roses sure produce the blooms don't they? :D I have found my tortoises over all love their roses, but each tortoises seems to have some major preferences as to which ones they do and do not like... and it's not consistent from one to another tortoise. How can you lose with planting roses though? I mean for us humans they are eye candy and some roses really give a great scent to the air and then we can feed the spent blooms to the tortoises. It's a win all around! :)

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Yes! LOL, and in our area they grow like weeds so I'm pretty sure I can plant them in the enclosure without to many worries

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just be aware that if you purchase them from a nursery or hardware store they will be full of systemic pesticides that can last a year. Grow your own, or use long established plants and you should be fine.