Roses

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Today I've found myself with a lot of roses! A few petals fell off and some leaves needed to be snipped, so could this be a yummy treat? How much, and of what?
Thank you! :D

Prairie Mom

Does this mean you were DELIVERED roses? huh? Huh? HUH??? Spill the beans;) I agree with Wellington. If the roses are from the florist, they spray the petals and leaves with all kinds of poisonous chemicals to make the blooms last longer. Don't feed it. If it's from someone's yard...Go to town and eat away!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Does this mean you were DELIVERED roses? huh? Huh? HUH??? Spill the beans;) I agree with Wellington. If the roses are from the florist, they spray the petals and leaves with all kinds of poisonous chemicals to make the blooms last longer. Don't feed it. If it's from someone's yard...Go to town and eat away![/QUOTE
No :oops: I'm prepping stuff for a friends wedding, and IO have these roses that nee to put pearls on...
I don't think she'd mind I if I 'borrowed' a couple ;):D

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I totally agree: ALL commercial cut rose flowers are treated with an array of systemic pesticides, and especially dangerous fungicides. Avoid them. If you grow your own roses, the petals are fine as food.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No roses from florist,gas stations, liquor stores, anyone really that sells them. They are treated with chemicals to preserve them longer. Who are you getting flowers from anyways? Inquiring minds want to know! The leaves and flowers are good, as long as they are home grown.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No. Sorry, but you should just assume that all from the flower shops are poisoned.

Agreed. It's not wax on leaves, or things they spray on it, it's also systemic things they used to fertilize and keep bugs away from the plants. Systemic are like with the pelleted and liquid fertilizers/bug killer. These all taken up by the plants through it's root system and them up into the actual plant itself. It can't be seen or washed off.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No roses from florist,gas stations, liquor stores, anyone really that sells them. They are treated with chemicals to preserve them longer. Who are you getting flowers from anyways? Inquiring minds want to know! The leaves and flowers are good, as long as they are home grown.
Friends wedding! :p She gave them to me, so I could make them 'pretty'.
So if I had bush, it'd be okay to feed everyday?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can propagate roses from cuttings if you cut off the top ,leave two sets of leaves and make a notch near the bottom.You can dip them in honey and stick them into a potato.(don't use growth hora one on the cuttings because they are poisonous to tortoises)
Nice! Have they grown into, like, REAL bushes? :eek:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm sorry guys, for some reason my alerts weren't working for this thread :( Thank you for the replies!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Friends wedding! :p She gave them to me, so I could make them 'pretty'.
So if I had bush, it'd be okay to feed everyday?
Friend's wedding, right. I believe you.
Yes you can feed everyday. my CDTmcruises around my rose bush everyday, like a vaccum cleaner.