Russian hybrids?

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Wow, what a touch, sensitive group. Here is a very good video on hybrids from Kamp Kenan.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow, what a touch, sensitive group. Here is a very good video on hybrids from Kamp Kenan.
No thank you. He's not a good source for tortoise care info. Videos like this just cement that fact.

Touch sensitive? What does that mean? If it means we don't condone or encourage practices that cause death and harm to tortoises, then I am guilty as charged.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
When I saw the thread title, I thought the question might be about mixing Russian Tortoise sub-species....

Jamie

Me too. The 4-5 subspecies of Russians seem hard to distinguish as it is based almost entirely on shell shape. My sense is that mixing Russian subspecies happens a lot.

IMO species hybrids are messed up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look I am not trying to be mean but the whole point of life is evolving and making money! Doing experiments is part of life how did people find out if sulcata tortoises should be kept in dry climates or humid? They did experiments and the one they kept in dry climates ended up very unhealthy and has a very pyramided shell. That is just one example out of millions! You all just sound like you want to do what's right and you think it is right not to breed them but you don't have any reason not to breed them! You say "oh its destruction!" Well its not! If you guys can come up with a few reasons to stop people form breeding leos and sullys then I will probably agree with you but none of you came up with adequate reasons.
Wow, money isn't everything! To put life and species saving/purity on the line for money is very sad state of mind.
That's what called puppy mills/backyard breeders in the dog world, which is the worst of the worst scum!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Wow, money isn't everything! To put life and species saving/purity on the line for money is very sad state of mind.
That's what called puppy mills/backyard breeders in the dog world, which is the worst of the worst scum!

look again this may seem a little mean but please don't take it the wrong way...Leocatas is what leopards and sully hybrids is called and I think they look adorable so I decided to ask why we can't keep breeding them! I didn't ask for this argument! Just drop it already. I learned why we can't breed them so I already dropped it. So you should too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Kenan does most everything in a way that is convenient for him.
A lot of it is just wrong for many reasons and it harms the hobby (Industry?)
The videos are entertaining. But they are far from educational

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
To go back to the original question: YES an RT 'can' produce viable babies with another Testudo species. In an UK group, someone has a Greek/RT mix that happened unintentionally (but why the breeder incubated the eggs, I don't know). It's cute. But in my opinion, wrong.

I know some Redfoot/leopard mixes exist here in the US, and the leopard/sulcata mixes mentioned above. And in Asia, I've seen mixes of everything under the sun (including radiata x sulcata, ploughshare x leopard, etc..... WHYYYY???!).

Should we do it? NO. That's a hard NO for me, because it is hard enough to maintain species integrity within our US tortoise populations as it is, so mixing in other species has the potential to bring the animals even further from the wild population we are trying to save.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, what were you thinking of mixing them with? What is the gain? Besides the money. Would you breed it to something prettier, flashier? Or what?

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
But do they climb like monkeys and ram you at every opportunity! I got my hands full with my little Russian 🤣

I know this was just a joke but may I point out. A Russian would be squashed if the sulcata tried breeding with it and the Russian would not be able to get on the sulcata. So technically that is impossible and a Russian sully hybrid would make the Russian a lot bigger so he would not be able to lift himself of the ground. But other than that you made me Lol!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

hybrids , imo, are a scourge to the hobby ....it's not that uncommon for a hybrid to be fertile .......... how much do you think an albino leopard tortoise would be worth ???? or an albino redfoot ???? i have a fairly good understanding of the plasticity of genetics .... myself when i see some uncommon color morphs pop up i wonder where the genes came from .....i've recently seen an albino painted turtle , i then wonder if painted turtles and red eared sliders can be bred together ...i read an article called "the counterfeit golden coin turtle" another about 3 hybrid cuora that have turned up never found in the wild ............