Russian or hermann?

alaskabeardogs

Location (City and/or State)
Soldotna
It seems the more I research the more I'm confused on determining if my two tortoises are the same breed or two separate breeds. I'm attaching pictures. Please help me.

Attachments

• 20240719_084259.jpg
    20240719_084259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240719_084246.jpg
    20240719_084246.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Russian and Hermann are actually different species. These both look Russian to me. The tell tale sign is whether the tortoises have 4 toes on each foot.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes they both have 4 claws on each leg. I felt maybe the female was a different breed because she's do dark.
I agree with Yvonne. Both look like Russian Tortoises to me also, and as she said, they could be of two different races or subspecies.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Both Russian, but whatever you do, don’t house them together as a pair, tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Whilst you’re here, I don’t suppose we could get more information on how you’re keeping them? It’s great to know with newer members😊

What are you temps like? Ie basking area?(directly under the bulb) overall day temps? Night temps?

What kind of lighting are you using? Packaging photos are handy!

Any indoor uv? If so what kind?

Indoor or outdoor set up? What size?

How’s you humidity?

Do you know the rough ages of these guys?

What are you using for substrate?

Any answers you have to those questions would be great! And any photos of your set up😊