Russian poorly tort

Kaylin99

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi,

I got my first tortoise last Thursday and he seems to be very slowly getting used to his new home. He is a one year old Russian named sheldon

I’ve unfortunate notices slight snot around his nose and a squeak when he goes into his shell.

I have googled this a read a couple threads and now freaking out. What should I do? I don’t have insurance yet and have literally just spent every penny on him. I have upped the temps to try make sure he’s warm but he seems to sleep the majority of the time.

He is still eating and drinking but I can’t say I’ve seen his poo yet (but don’t know if it would be noticeable visible at his size)

Please someone advise of the best next step?!

B0007BE8-268E-4A1D-9DEC-91CDE5C281BA.jpeg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How long do you soak him for, and how often?

Kaylin99

London
Daily for 20mins I would do 30 but get scared when the water started getting cold
How long do you soak him for, and how often?

Willing to do/try anything for him. I’ve heard vets and pet shops tend not to know what they’re talking about so thought I’d ask TFO before making any decisions

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Keep ur ambient temps at 85 throughout ur enclosure day and night. As for soaking.. u can put his soaking dish right inside his enclosure while soaking .. itll help keeping the water warm

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Change the water when it starts to get cold, make sure it stays warm. I am currently soaking my tortoise in organic carrot baby food and water. Search the forum to get more information. Also what substrate, lights and humidity do you have for him. Post pictures of the enclosure and the information. I am sure an expert will help you but the more information and pictures the better help you will receive.

Kaylin99

London
Keep ur ambient temps at 85 throughout ur enclosure day and night. As for soaking.. u can put his soaking dish right inside his enclosure while soaking .. itll help keeping the water warm
Thank you, Can’t believe I haven’t thought of that.

I have only got a light and heat combo bulb at the mo, any tips on how I can keep him warm tonight while I order a night time bulb emitter thingy, amazon recommendations welcome too for the night bulb?

Also are you not concerned that I need to take him to the vet at this stage? Would hate to feel responsible for his death

Thanks for your help x

Kaylin99

London
Change the water when it starts to get cold, make sure it stays warm. I am currently soaking my tortoise in organic carrot baby food and water. Search the forum to get more information. Also what substrate, lights and humidity do you have for him. Post pictures of the enclosure and the information. I am sure an expert will help you but the more information and pictures the better help you will receive.

Hi I have him in a open top wooden table. It’s about a meter long , I will send pics later. I am waiting for a bigger table to arrive. I’m using a ubv heat bulb 100w, a mix of soil, edible grass and woodchip(however I’m going to remove the wood chop ASAP as I see it can cause problems) will start using coco coir when that arrives to, I am keeping the substrate damp to maintain humidity and misting it. I have also covered half of the enclosure to try keep in humidity and heat and wrapped foil around the wooden bit to maintain heat

I will post pics later once I’m home.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Thank you, Can’t believe I haven’t thought of that.

I have only got a light and heat combo bulb at the mo, any tips on how I can keep him warm tonight while I order a night time bulb emitter thingy, amazon recommendations welcome too for the night bulb?

Also are you not concerned that I need to take him to the vet at this stage? Would hate to feel responsible for his death

Thanks for your help x
At this stage hes still active and eating.. i wouldnt go to the vet. As long as u take care of ur temps it should take care of itself. If ur using one of those compact coil uvb bulbs i would get rid of it( use a tube type) night temps gonna be hard to keep up without a CHE.

Reactions: Ink

Kaylin99

London
At this stage hes still active and eating.. i wouldnt go to the vet. As long as u take care of ur temps it should take care of itself. If ur using one of those compact coil uvb bulbs i would get rid of it( use a tube type) night temps gonna be hard to keep up without a CHE.

No problem thank you so much, you’ve helped put my mind at ease as I was distraught.

I will keep a fan heater on in my room tonight while I get a che on prime. I don’t have a coil one but it’s a 50 degrees angle one, is that sufficient for the day time?

Kaylin99

London

Activity wise, he wakes up in the morning, might come out of his hide, I’ll bath him and then put him under the lamp where he stays for a while. I’ll then put out his food and he will eat, maybe have a little drink then go back to bed for the day really, is that okay?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You did just bring him home thursday .. so hes gonna hide a bit until he gets comfortable. Hes eating so thats a good thing. Let him get comfortable with his new digs.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Have u read through the russian care thread? If not here ya go..

L

LasTortugasNinja

Took my tort a week before he would eat a whole plate of food. The first week, he would nibble on a little bit here and there. Now, he eats his size of leafy greens daily.

Also, need him to poo? Soak him in room temp/slightly warm water for 30 min, and he'll unleash.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I am I uk and best thing is read the info and I utubed lots of info to find my feet initially. Get sheldons home balanced and into a routine. I have 3 Russians and throughly enjoying them and their antics. Dandelions weed flowers are in abundance max 1 or 2 a day but worth a go mine run for them! Get the heat and baths correct and you will be ok, I have 2 washing up bowls with 30 degree hot water and move them over half way through. I recommend weighing regularly and keep a log as sheldon will grow and it is nice to see it via weighing. Mine are asleep by around 5pm and awake at 7.30am waiting for fresh leaves but I have accepted that is their routine. Once he gets active you will find the tortoise exploring and climbing with the odd tumble upside down so be vigilant. Best to ask if issues but take it slowly and enjoy your new charge Sheldon.

Kaylin99

London
No problem! Good luck with ur lil dude :):tort:

I have made all the alterations.

Humidity is very high (88) and so perhaps without the constant heat at night too, that’s probably what made him sick.

I gave him a soak this morning (still no poo) and then put him back infront of his food but he hasn’t eaten it, he instead had a little wonder and then feel asleep on a his cuttle bone.

Hopefully he eats later.

Temps are 72f in the cool end and 90in the warm end.

Do you think that’s sufficient

65CDD4D7-3815-4C8C-A8D2-459E2594C280.jpeg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Since he has a RI i would get the ambient temps up to around 85 for a couple weeks day and night

Kaylin99

London
Since he has a RI i would get the ambient temps up to around 85 for a couple weeks day and night

I’ve tried to move the thermostat reader to under the lamp and set it to 85 but that it making my light flicker or turn off completely. As I’m using a bulb that produces light and heat for daytime, is there any way to make sure the light doesn’t completely turn off. Or is it accaeptable for the light to come on and off? Don’t want to deprive him of vitamin D