Russian Shell Issue (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniandLeo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn Center, MN
Hi All!
So since I brought Leo home he's had these two spots on his plastron, the first vet told me they weren't a big deal, so did the second vet. They thought since the areas aren't soft and seem to just be surface abrasions that he wasn't in any danger.

The third vet has a very opposite opinion and wants me to remove him from his bedding, use paper towel, soaks twice a day (first in water and iodine) and a cream (Silver Sulfadiazine 1%) on the spots after soaks. Also shots (antibiotic) every three days.

The two spots have become four since he's been here. I acknowledge that it takes time for anything to heal or to see change in a tort.. but I'm curious if you've all seen anything like this before and to which degree I should be addressing this issue?

Currently I have spit his environment into two, he's in his usual substrate (coir bark and cyprus mulch mixture kept pretty dry (since I didn't want moisture to soften these areas) for most of the day and over night. Then at feeding time (once a day) I remove him, wipe clean the shell with water, put on the cream then he sits on the paper towel side to eat while the cream absorbs, then he goes back into the usual substrate at night. And we are doing the shots every three days.

I'm a bit frustrated getting two very different opinions on what is happening- makes it difficult to feel confident in what we should be doing. Any ideas are appreciated.

Leo Shell.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It might be shell rot. The silver sulfadine will help - but in my opinion the antibiotics are not necessary. I would wash it with betadine or nolvason, let it dry and then put on the cream. I would keep him dry until you see some healing starting. This is how I usually treat shell rot - hope that was somewhat helpful. What kind of antibiotics is he taking?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It looks like the beginning stage of shell rot to me. I'm currently treating my tortoise for shell rot also. I would not do the antibiotic injections either, they seem unnecessary.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Those are not surface abrasions. It is shell rot. The silver sulfadine will help. To treat this I bathe in a betadine solution. Then dry the tort thoroughly and put it in the sunshine.After a couple hours of sunning, it is released back into its enclosure. If it continues, I will add a smear of antifungal ointment to it after the sunning and before the letting it go. Shell rot can cause bacteria and fungus to grow in the wound preventing healing. Ghe betadine helps with the bacteria and obviously the antifungal cream will treat any fungus.

JenniandLeo

5 Year Member
Brooklyn Center, MN
Thanks for the insight guys.

So what I'm hearing is the soaking and cream are the most important parts. And when you're saying to keep them dry.. does that mean leaving them in their substrate but without the moisture- or should I be using a different substrate (or no substrate) in the mean time?

Guess it takes a while to cure, eh? How will I know when it's no longer an issue?
Thanks again, very much.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Hi Jenni. Russians do not require a moist substrate. They originate in arid countries. All they need is drinking water and an occasional soak to keep hydrated.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Although I don't have a Russian tort, I have had to treat an aquatic turtle with shell rot that grew fungus. Yes, it's going to take a long time (mine took 1 year) before you see a much better improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.