Russian tort won't eat unless food is put directly in front of face

Toast

I adopted my russian tort, toast, 3 months ago with literally no background info about him. Since i got him he never eats from his food bowl in the tank he never drinks or bathes in the water there either. The only time he eats and bathe is daily when i let him have floor time. I put him in water and let him soak in there for a little bit then i give him food. Im not sure if he has like vision issues and doesnt know where things are bc he literally has to have his food be placed in front of his face like touching front shell, if i place it a few inches in front of him he just walks over it then drags it under shell and searches for it. Idk if the owners before only hand fed him or if there is an issue. My mom is telling me to just keep supplying him food and water in his tank (which i do) and not give him the stuff during floor time bc she says if he wants it enough he'll get it in his tank. But i think that is just cruel to do to toast so i refuse to do that. Do you think he is justed used to old routine or there is an actual problem?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I agree with your mum you will be making a rod for your own back if you hand feed him all the time. Hungry torts will eat, they have a great sense of smell so they will find food but they seem to take great delight in walking all over it. I serve Lola's food on a slate and it looks lovely - but not for long!! I never see my tort drinking or bathing in his dish either, he may do it while I'm at work but I do soak him regularly just to be on the safe side.
Have you found the Russian caresheet for Toast yet? This will tell you all about diet and the sort of foods he'll enjoy.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a great guide to tort safe foods too.

Toast

I agree with your mum you will be making a rod for your own back if you hand feed him all the time. Hungry torts will eat, they have a great sense of smell so they will find food but they seem to take great delight in walking all over it. I serve Lola's food on a slate and it looks lovely - but not for long!! I never see my tort drinking or bathing in his dish either, he may do it while I'm at work but I do soak him regularly just to be on the safe side.
Have you found the Russian caresheet for Toast yet? This will tell you all about diet and the sort of foods he'll enjoy.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a great guide to tort safe foods too.
Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just for an FYI, floor time is not good and not recommended. There are a lot of things that could hurt him or make him sick being on the floor. Just keep that in mind

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
How does his eyes look? Are they clear ?
I agree that this may be a learned behavior from being hand fed previously though. And tortoises can go months without eating , just make sure you soak often

Toast

Just for an FYI, floor time is not good and not recommended. There are a lot of things that could hurt him or make him sick being on the floor. Just keep that in mind
I have a small area for him where the geoumd is covered, is that ok?

Toast

How does his eyes look? Are they clear ?
I agree that this may be a learned behavior from being hand fed previously though. And tortoises can go months without eating , just make sure you soak often
Thank you. And i think his eyes are clear they are closed most of the time

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a small area for him where the geoumd is covered, is that ok?
You mean where an area is blocked off just for him and the floor is cover with a plastic? That should be fine. Just remember it's always colder on the floor. So be sure in the colder months, it's colder on the floor and if you have AC on, cool air falls to the floor so it will be colder then too. Russians do fine in cooler temps then a lot of the others but they still need to warm up under a basking light where the temp reaches 90-100 degrees to properly digest their food.

Toast

You mean where an area is blocked off just for him and the floor is cover with a plastic? That should be fine. Just remember it's always colder on the floor. So be sure in the colder months, it's colder on the floor and if you have AC on, cool air falls to the floor so it will be colder then too. Russians do fine in cooler temps then a lot of the others but they still need to warm up under a basking light where the temp reaches 90-100 degrees to properly digest their food.
Yea i have a small fenced corner but no with plastic i have like this reptile fake grass down i got from the store

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Should be okay if it's kept clean and you're careful with the temperatures.
Outside in the garden time is better, if it's possible to provide a safe enclosure outside where you are.
Leave his food in the enclosure.
He will eat when he's hungry enough.
You are the boss, not him.

Toast

Closed most of the time? As in sleeping most of the time? What are his temps?
His temp is usually 90 in the tank and they're just really squinted all the time even when he walks and he just walks into things

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You should have separate temperatures for his basking spot, warm side of the tank, cool side and night time.
Do you know all these, please ?

Toast

You should have separate temperatures for his basking spot, warm side of the tank, cool side and night time.
Do you know all these, please ?
At night i turn the heat lamp off bc my room is around 80 and the basking is where the most heat is from the lamp and the cool side is near his food and water and his hide is near the basking area but not right in the heat. Is that right?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
How does his enclosure look? can you post a picture and let us know about this care/ routine?

Toast

How does his enclosure look? can you post a picture and let us know about this care/ routine?
Im not home rn but ill do that whem i get there but i gice him floor time for about 1 hr a day, i soak him and feed daily, i clean the peat moss in the tank and i give vegues as food mostly and he likes grass

Toast

Im not home rn but ill do that whem i get there but i gice him floor time for about 1 hr a day, i soak him and feed daily, i clean the peat moss in the tank and i give vegues as food mostly and he likes grass
his eyes have been mostly closed ever since i got him

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Okay.
I see from your previous post you say that the temp for the enclosure during the day is 90. Thats pretty high for a russians ambient temp. Is there a way to lower this? 90 on the hot side could be okay.
Do you have a uvb light? If yes, what kind of bulb is it & how many watts?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Also, do you know how humid it is in his enclosure?
Im not sure, hopefully other members will correct me if i'm wrong but could high humidity for a russian make him want to squint/close his eyes? Since they are not use to it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think we need a lot more info with pics. The fake grass on the floor area and being fenced off is fine.
On to the enclosure. We need size of enclosure, temps, type of bulbs using. Picture would help a lot. His eyes should not be closed unless sleeping.