Russian Tortoise Eyes! Help!

Dtox88

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
IMG_1530.JPG So recently I've noticed that my tortoise's eyes have been swollen and today they look the worst! Does anyone know what this could be from or if this is bad? Is he sick? I have no idea what to do or what it means! Sometimes it appears as though he's trying to open them and can't cause there's a white cast over them

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What is your substrate? Could some have gotten in his eye?

We need your uvb lamps, not heat lamps. Do you have a uvb? Or is uvb included in the lamps and I’m just blind?

Red heat lamps are no good. They make tortoises want to eat their substrate, and they can see it at night, which messes up their daylight cycle. Do you really need heat at night? Russians need a temp drop of no lower than 65 (I believe).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the second light seems to be a spot lamp. They are too harsh on tortoise’s shells, and dry them out too quick. Flood bulbs are better.

Dtox88

Wisconsin
Honestly I just have the original set up of what the people at PetSmart picked out for me when I got my tortoise. Been using the same lighting ever since, not well educated on what other lighting I should be using for him

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Honestly I just have the original set up of what the people at PetSmart picked out for me when I got my tortoise. Been using the same lighting ever since, not well educated on what other lighting I should be using for him

Pet stores often have no idea what they’re talking about. How long have you had him?
Can we see a pic of the enclosure?
Please read the care sheet I gave you.

Dtox88

Wisconsin
IMG_1533.JPG The care sheet link doesn't work, but I've had him for about 6 years now.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
View attachment 227229 The care sheet link doesn't work, but I've had him for about 6 years now.

That enclosure is MUCH too small for even a yearling. Adult Russian tortoises need an enclosure space of a MINIMUM 4x8 feet, which you can achieve by building a tortoise table.

It concerns me that you haven’t had a uvb light in 6 years, because without uvb they cannot absorb calcium, and without calcium they acquire metabolic bone disease. Do you use any supplements or let him bask outside? What is his diet like?

If the links still don’t work, try getting the app or pasting them into your browser.

Dtox88

Wisconsin
That enclosure is MUCH too small for even a yearling. Adult Russian tortoises need an enclosure space of a MINIMUM 4x8 feet, which you can achieve by building a tortoise table.

It concerns me that you haven’t had a uvb light in 6 years, because without uvb they cannot absorb calcium, and without calcium they acquire metabolic bone disease. Do you use any supplements or let him bask outside? What is his diet like?

If the links still don’t work, try getting the app or pasting them into your browser.

During the summer he usually goes outside once a week. I feed him mainly romaine lettuce, sometimes mixed lettuce and occasionally some tortoise food I buy from petsmart

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
During the summer he usually goes outside once a week. I feed him mainly romaine lettuce, sometimes mixed lettuce and occasionally some tortoise food I buy from petsmart

That diet needs lots of work. Russian Tortoises need a diet of lots of weeds, and a few vegetables mixed in. They also need a varied diet. Lettuce has too much water and little to no nutritional value. Are the links working?

Bee62

Germany
How are your night temps ? The eyes of torts with respiration infect often look like the eyes of your tort.
Can you hear a strange noise while your tort is breathing, or see bubbles on the nose ?

Dtox88

Wisconsin
How are your night temps ? The eyes of torts with respiration infect often look like the eyes of your tort.
Can you hear a strange noise while your tort is breathing, or see bubbles on the nose ?

Night temp is usually around 70 degrees. Every now and then he will make a noise almost like he has a stuffy nose

Bee62

Germany
Night temp is usually around 70 degrees. Every now and then he will make a noise almost like he has a stuffy nose
That is not too cold. How high is your humidity in the enclosure of your tort ?

Dtox88

Wisconsin
No snot. He's been a bit more sluggish than usual but I haven't noticed any change in his eating