Russian Tortoise Overfed Blueberries

plantdomainexotics

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I just got a new Russian tortoise and have it in quarantine from my other 5 Russian tortoises. It had its first poop and I noticed that it consisted mostly of undigested blueberries. I know that they weren't just leftover blueberries from the previous owner because I completely cleaned and replaced the substrate. Is it possible that her gut bacteria have been wiped out due to a decrease in pH in the digestive tract? She has a basking spot of 95 F with a UVI of 2-3.5 in that area. Cold end is around 70s during the day and likely 65 at night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Its possible as that's the reason they shouldn't be fed fruit. I would keep her a little warmer then normal and give lots of warm soaks and good proper foods. Maybe quarantine a little longer then normal too, give her time to get her gut right and immunities straight.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just got a new Russian tortoise and have it in quarantine from my other 5 Russian tortoises. It had its first poop and I noticed that it consisted mostly of undigested blueberries. I know that they weren't just leftover blueberries from the previous owner because I completely cleaned and replaced the substrate. Is it possible that her gut bacteria have been wiped out due to a decrease in pH in the digestive tract? She has a basking spot of 95 F with a UVI of 2-3.5 in that area. Cold end is around 70s during the day and likely 65 at night.
Hello. Glad to meet you 🤗 what I'm thinking is if you've just gotten her within a day or so she's probably cleaning out. Is she eating? I'm sure from your post that you are aware of their proper diet since fruit is not good for a Russian.
🙂 Im glad you helped her.

plantdomainexotics

Portland, OR
Its possible as that's the reason they shouldn't be fed fruit. I would keep her a little warmer then normal and give lots of warm soaks and good proper foods. Maybe quarantine a little longer then normal too, give her time to get her gut right and immunities straight.
Is there any way to facilitate re-loading her gut bacteria faster? I wonder if I could put substrate from the other tortoises in with her?

plantdomainexotics

Portland, OR
Hello. Glad to meet you 🤗 what I'm thinking is if you've just gotten her within a day or so she's probably cleaning out. Is she eating? I'm sure from your post that you are aware of their proper diet since fruit is not good for a Russian.
🙂 Im glad you helped her.
Hi!
She's eating and acting totally fine. I've never seen or heard of a tortoise passing completely whole food items (blueberries in this case) and figured something is off, even if only slightly. I never feed any of my Russians any fruit except for watermelon maybe once or twice a year max. I know that blueberries are acidic from gardening and after a quick search discovered it could potentially throw out the gut bacteria biome. She's quick chunky so I need to get her down to a healthier weight as well.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi!
She's eating and acting totally fine. I've never seen or heard of a tortoise passing completely whole food items (blueberries in this case) and figured something is off, even if only slightly. I never feed any of my Russians any fruit except for watermelon maybe once or twice a year max. I know that blueberries are acidic from gardening and after a quick search discovered it could potentially throw out the gut bacteria biome. She's quick chunky so I need to get her down to a healthier weight as well.
I wish I could tell you something about that It seems like there could be a food that's good for that for a 🐢.🙂 I'm on pins and needles waiting for all the answers to this thread.🤗

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think that's a good idea, using the other torts substrate. If that was a safe thing to do then there would be no sense in quarantining her.
Maybe @Markw84 @Tom can help here.

plantdomainexotics

Portland, OR
I don't think that's a good idea, using the other torts substrate. If that was a safe thing to do then there would be no sense in quarantining her.
Maybe @Markw84 @Tom can help here.
AFAIK the point of quarantining is to keep your current animals (who should be healthy) away from the new animal (who might be sick). I don't see any risk to my current, healthy, animals by placing some of their substrate into the new tortoises enclosure. However, if this new tortoise does in fact have a depleted digestive tract this may not be a good idea...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
AFAIK the point of quarantining is to keep your current animals (who should be healthy) away from the new animal (who might be sick). I don't see any risk to my current, healthy, animals by placing some of their substrate into the new tortoises enclosure. However, if this new tortoise does in fact have a depleted digestive tract this may not be good idea...
Yes, more so from new to old but also can go the other way.
Tortoises can hide illness and parasites very well and they come to light very slowly.
Your new tort is likely already vulnerable so why risk it.

plantdomainexotics

Portland, OR
Yes, more so from new to old but also can go the other way.
Tortoises can hide illness and parasites very well and they come to light very slowly.
Your new tort is likely already vulnerable so why risk it.
Fair point! Any ways you think would help to facilitate "re-loading" the new tortoises gut?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You can get reptile-safe probiotics! They are available online, but your reptile vet may also have some available.
Benebac (for reptiles and birds) and Nutribac are the two I know of. The reptile rescue I used to volunteer with used those any time we had to treat a reptile with antibiotics. You just sprinkle them over her food. (There is a gel-syringe version for animals that are refusing food, but it sounds like yours is eating fine).
20220327_075854.jpg20220327_075916.jpg

plantdomainexotics

Portland, OR
You can get reptile-safe probiotics! They are available online, but your reptile vet may also have some available.
Benebac (for reptiles and birds) and Nutribac are the two I know of. The reptile rescue I used to volunteer with used those any time we had to treat a reptile with antibiotics. You just sprinkle them over her food. (There is a gel-syringe version for animals that are refusing food, but it sounds like yours is eating fine).
View attachment 342446View attachment 342447
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.