Russian tortoise weight

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I’m just curious if anyone knows about how much weight a tortoise looses during egg laying? I’ve noticed a lot of breeding with my tortoises and was hoping to be able to weigh the female once or twice a week or so and be able to tell when she laid her eggs instead of digging each day to look, or are there other ways to tell she has laid? I’m assuming the eggs don’t weigh more than 20 Thank you very much for the help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Try placing a very large flowerpot turned on its side and half to 2/3rds buried in the ground. Filled with loose, fine potting soil.
Lots of times you can coax a tortoise to deposit eggs in a place that is convenient for you if it makes them feel it's a good, safe place to do so.
I've never attempted a baseline weight like you are thinking.
Let us know what works for you.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Try placing a very large flowerpot turned on its side and half to 2/3rds buried in the ground. Filled with loose, fine potting soil.
Lots of times you can coax a tortoise to deposit eggs in a place that is convenient for you if it makes them feel it's a good, safe place to do so.
I've never attempted a baseline weight like you are thinking.
Let us know what works for you.
I’ll definitely give that a try thanks for the idea! I’ll let you guys know if she lays eggs what the approximate weight loss was