RUSSIAN TORTOISE?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I was told she was around 62-64 years old when she was given to me. She was given to me by a friend's boyfriend who had him for many,many years. She was given to him by a friend whose boys had him for many, many years. When the boys grew up they gave him to my friend's boyfriend. Anyway, I have had her for around 5 years. She was my second Russian tortoise and my first adult.

I find her shell to be different looking than my other adult Russian tortoises that I now have. She has a pretty golden color on her neck. Is she a Russian tortoise or perhaps mixed?

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Carol, can you post a picture?

Sorry I forgot to attach the picture. Here it is. :)

IMG_0401.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I'd guess Greek, you can tell if there are small spurs on the back portions of her thighs

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Here are more pictures. In the pictures she is wet so that brings out the color more. The lightest part of each scute has a greenish hue. I do not see any spurs on her thighs.
IMG_0388.JPGIMG_0399.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

salacassta

In China, if u feed a Russian tortoise in home, you will be punishment for 4years...... But lucky, you can bird policemen lol

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
My largest and oldest Female Russian still has some of her pattern. I will try to attach pics. This one doesn't have any pattern remaining and now looks more like a Gopher to me. Do we have a SCL? That might help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's a desert tortoise. I have a Gopherus agazissii that is this same color and I've always assumed it was leucistic. We talked about it here on the Forum before, but I can't remember what we came up with. Anyway, its a Gopherus species and they are protected by law. You need a permit to keep it. And depending upon what state you live in, you may not be able to keep it at all.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The man who gave her to me had multiple male desert tortoises and one female desert tortoise. He said that the desert tortoises ignored her. If she is a desert tortoise wouldn't the male desert tortoises have tried to mate with her? :tort:

Dorrie Siu

Carol when you get a chance will you please measure the length of the plastron please? Also a picture of the underside would be helpful.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Dorrie Siu said:
Carol when you get a chance will you please measure the length of the plastron please? Also a picture of the underside would be helpful.

On my day off this coming week I will measure her plastron and take a picture of her underside. :tort:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
While we wait for measurements, how about an estimate? Dinner plate size? Childs plate size? Need 2 hands to carry her around or fits in the palm of one hand?

Looks gopher-ish to me too ;)