Sad sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeek

5 Year Member

Hello, my name is Sandee and I like in Canyon Lake Ca, riverside county. Have a male sully 16 anther that is 3 and 19, 2 week old babies

sandeek

5 Year Member
image.jpg. This is my ash, and his new baby. I joined because I have a very sad male sully,who is 16 and we just lost his lifetime mate 4 days ago. She was 14. He is heartbroken. Dr not sure why she died, did all he could but she didnt make it. My poor male hasnt quit pacing since she has been gone. We have been giving him lots of extra attention and snacks but he just keeps searching and searching for her. We have 1 3 yr old from their first batch of hatchlings and 19 2 week old babies. The 3 yr old way too small to put in with him. Hes about 90 lbs. should we try to adopt a female?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: New member

Hi and welcome! *waves* So you have a bunch (19) of little guys? How cute they must all look together. Any split scute ones? I love split scutes. :D Can we see pictures?

I joined your two threads into one. Now I understand how you have so many babies, yet it only sounded like you had one who would be of age and it was a male. Sorry for your loss. So it was sudden, her getting sick? What happened or what signs did you have?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome and beautiful tort and baby....I would suspect that since you have confirmation that they did the deed (hatchlings) he may be more looking for perhaps that missing partner more over than personal feelings...I know, sounds harsh--but nothing personal I am sure on his part---nor mine...

I would allow him some time to himself and not rush into get a replacement...they may not get along....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your sudden loss of your girl. I hope it's more of what ascott said then him really missing her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do they have a heated house? Did they live together full time?

In most cases a male with a single female will literally her to death. It may take a while, but the long term chronic stress, can really be bad for a single female in with a male. I would not put a lone female in with him, and if you put more than one you will literally have 100s of eggs a year to deal with. He'll settle down in a few days and be just fine by himself. Sulcatas are not a social tortoise and do not need or want companionship. They can usually do okay in groups with one male and several females, and babies usually do fine in groups, but they never NEED the company of other tortoises.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandee, and welcome to the Forum!!

Please don't put your human emotions on your tortoise. He's just fine by himself. He will settle down in a couple of weeks.

sandeek

5 Year Member
image.jpgimage.jpgThanks everyone, i sure hope your right, and yes we are very sad from losing her. Dr thinks a virus or maybe cronic illness, her liver and kidneys were all good, she was anemic, but she had no symptoms of a cold or pnemonia. Just got real lathargic and no eating. Yes she and male been together whole life, and have a doghouse with heater.

Anyways on a happier note, yes 19 babies :) what are split scutes? They are very fun to watch all of them! Alot of work with feeding and soaking and picking up poop! But oh so fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have also heard that a male with one female can stress her to death. Sometimes never giving the female a break from breading.

I am sorry you lost the female. But I agree with everything Tom said.

sandeek

5 Year Member
They didnt mate always, so I know he did not mate her to death. And when he would be ...shall we say in the mood... For long periods of time we seperated them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You say she was anemic? Is it possible that there was some parasite that was causing the anemia? And, did her anemia compromise her immune system? You may never know the answers to these questions, but it sure would be interesting to know for sure. So sorry you lost her. Btw, papa sully is absolutely beautiful! He'll be fine. I wouldn't put any female with him for now. When you do decide to introduce him to another mate, I would consider what Tom said, introduce two or three females instead of one.

HelenP

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
Welcome, and so sorry for the loss of your older Tort, Did you have him from a hatchling? Your babies are adorable! I am new to Tortoises, I have 2 Hatchlin Desert Torts, Love them to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.