safe fertilizer..

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
I've got a few HUGE Rose of Sharon hibiscus bushes. I'd be happy to send some cuttings to transplant to anybody who wanted some as long as you cover the shipping. I'm not sure if you could transplant them successfully in the wintertime though I've never tried.
I'll take a box of dried flowers lol I have a hibiscus tree but...t
You'll have your little weed garden...lol most people hate dandelion flowers but Saphire thinks they're beautiful...and yummy!
he'd been eating the leaves because that's what I have most of and readily available. He will chow in the flowers to if I find some good one's

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What do you all think of bone meal as fertilizer?
I used to take the pills to help my bones and it did. The only reason I stopped is because I get kidney stones. I can't believe a self respecting tortoise would eat dirt though even for the bone meal. I'm wondering what leafy greens would taste like grown with a bit in the soil.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'll take a box of dried flowers lol I have a hibiscus tree but...t

he'd been eating the leaves because that's what I have most of and readily available. He will chow in the flowers to if I find some good one's
Hit me up in the spring and I could easily do that. I can literally pick 3-4 shoe boxes of flowers daily when they're blooming.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
I've got a few HUGE Rose of Sharon hibiscus bushes. I'd be happy to send some cuttings to transplant to anybody who wanted some as long as you cover the shipping. I'm not sure if you could transplant them successfully in the wintertime though I've never tried.
I would love some and be glad to pay shipping/postage. I'm in Louisiana.

PeasHabitat

Monroe, Wa
I believe the white granules in the potting mix soil is called vermiculite. It is a sterile and inert mineral that is used to keep the weight of potted plants light and help absorb moisture. It should not be accessible for a tortoise to consume it but I don't believe it would affect the plant for consumption. Best to do your own research.
I appreciate this thread on food options. My goal is to grow only tortoise food in my garden next summer and collect pesticide free weeds for my four Russian tortoises.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I believe the white granules in the potting mix soil is called vermiculite. It is a sterile and inert mineral that is used to keep the weight of potted plants light and help absorb moisture. It should not be accessible for a tortoise to consume it but I don't believe it would affect the plant for consumption. Best to do your own research.
I appreciate this thread on food options. My goal is to grow only tortoise food in my garden next summer and collect pesticide free weeds for my four Russian tortoises.
yeah,they look like styrofoam pieces kind of. some was in the organic soil I have too. that I'd my plan too, would like only Sheldon friendly plants in my garden, was going to hit the greenhouse hard bit now I don't think it's a good idea because of the fertilizer and pesticides issues.

Lizastarr

McAlester

I wonder if the cuttings can be grown inside til spring, if so, I sure would LOVE to get some from you!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I wonder if the cuttings can be grown inside til spring, if so, I sure would LOVE to get some from you!
I think the sprouts they put out would. I used to have a few.Spaced together like a fence. Hummingbirds love them. But in one way, it was a real pain. I had all those baby Rose of Sharon bushes to dig up.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I will gladly pay postage for some cuttings. I'm close to San Antonio, Texas

Cocorene'

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buckeye, Arizona
So will I, if you think this is a plant that will survive in the hottest desert, Buckeye, Arizona. Happy to pay postage. I have one hibiscus plant that I have managed to keep alive for some months, but I don't know what type.