Safe to eat?

pclare

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Does anyone know for sure if this millipede is safe for boxies to eat? They're all over my yard. My skunk ate one and seemed to find it tasty.

I tried Googling it, but find too many conflicting IDs. I don't want to offer it if it has a toxin or of it can bite.

Attachments

• 20160713_191806.jpg
    20160713_191806.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

Rue

Canada
Centipede. I wouldn't feed them deliberately. ..but I wouldn't worry if they ate one incidentally. Odds are they won't eat them. ..but who knows for certain?

One centipede that size likely doesn't have enough toxin to hurt a tortoise if worst came to worst...unless it is a lot bigger than I think it is...

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Box turtles eat all kinds of stuff in the wild. I'm sure if it ate one and it made it sick they are not going to eat another one. I see mine catching bugs in their enclosures all the time.

pclare

NJ
Centipede -- thanks -- I didn't count. ;)

It's nearly the size of my little finger. For someone who's into bugs, it would make a great specimen, actually, because it's hefty and really beautiful.

I never saw these until I moved into the house I'm in now, and I can hardly dig a scoop of earth or move a pot, a few leaves, or some bark without finding two or three.

Thanks for your input. I never worried when my guys grabbed smaller centipedes in their outdoor pens, but I just worried because these are so big.

Reactions: Rue

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oh wow those are big. What part of the US are you in? I don't believe I've seen any that size.

Rue

Canada
They are quite big then. I think they are neat..:)

The ones around here are all quite small.

Berkeley

Centipede. I wouldn't feed them deliberately. ..but I wouldn't worry if they ate one incidentally. Odds are they won't eat them. ..but who knows for certain?

One centipede that size likely doesn't have enough toxin to hurt a tortoise if worst came to worst...unless it is a lot bigger than I think it is...

Nope, it's a millipede. There are two pairs of legs per body segment. Centipedes only have only pair of legs per segment.

The millipedes have noxious-tasting goo in them that they release when disturbed, but I would guess that they are probably fine for the boxes. As Abrams said, if they eat it and don't like it they won't eat another. I don't worry about millipedes in my box enclosures.

--Berkeley

Rue

Canada
I can't see two pairs of legs per segment, I only see one. You must have much better eyes.

However, Berkeley is correct. If there are two pairs of legs per segment it is a millipede. If there is one set, it is a centipede. You will now have to go catch another one and count! :D

Either way, I still wouldn't worry about it.

AJK Aquaria

Can't answer your question but bright colors can indicate a bad taste/foul odor/poison in some invertebrates.

pclare

NJ
I can't see two pairs of legs per segment, I only see one. You must have much better eyes.

However, Berkeley is correct. If there are two pairs of legs per segment it is a millipede. If there is one set, it is a centipede. You will now have to go catch another one and count! :D

Either way, I still wouldn't worry about it.
Yep. I'm in the Poconos right now, but when I get home I'll try to post a clearer pic. It's hard to do because they won't stop moving. Maybe if I make it curl up that'll help.