Score: Turtle 1, Me 0

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Although I am content enough with the current set up for my juvenile mud turtle (Jacques), I have bigger plans. In another year or so when he's reached adult size, I plan to move him to a bigger tank that will be beautiful. It'll be more nicely landscaped and will have live plants in addition to the plastic ones. There will be ghost shrimp and a few fish. I'm hoping between lots of plants and a bigger tank, some of the shrimp and fish will be able to hide from him and survive. But even if he eats them, that's OK: they're all just bit players- the turtle is really the STAR of the tank.

I have been trying out different things in his current tank, but I don't think he shares my dreams. He typically digs up the plastic plants and moves them around, so that they are bunched together in a mess. At PetCo I recently found a plastic plant arranged like a mat and had a grid that could be pushed into the sand. I bought it, brought it home, rinsed it off and installed it, figuring he couldn't uproot it. The next morning, this is what I found: IMG_8617.jpg

But WHO could be mad at that face???? :) :) :)

IMG_8617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Give him a cave and maybe he'll leave the plants alone.

Just think of it as helping the filter do its job. All that rooting around in the sand stirs up the gunk for the filter.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Give him a cave and maybe he'll leave the plants alone.

Just think of it as helping the filter do its job. All that rooting around in the sand stirs up the gunk for the filter.

He has a big acrylic log with lots of "shelves" on it, so he often hides in those. He also digs himself a nest in the sand under the shelter of the log. I guess he just likes to "garden!" :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have been trying out different things in his current tank, but I don't think he shares my dreams. He typically digs up the plastic plants and moves them around, so that they are bunched together in a mess. At PetCo I recently found a plastic plant arranged like a mat and had a grid that could be pushed into the sand. I bought it, brought it home, rinsed it off and installed it, figuring he couldn't uproot it. The next morning, this is what I found: View attachment 161166

View attachment 161166
He definitely looks guilty!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've hot glued plastic plant bases onto the bottom of the tank before adding the sand and water. It worked at keeping them in place but I never tested it against digging turtles. Plus, it wasn't too long after that, I pooped them all off and went with live plants instead.

I've also weighted the plants with rocks. That helped keep them stationary in my turtle tanks.

Do you have good lighting? What if you put water hyacinth in the tank? It'll have pretty plants above the water and a floating root system below. That was on my "to try" list but I left CA before I could do it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've hot glued plastic plant bases onto the bottom of the tank before adding the sand and water. It worked at keeping them in place but I never tested it against digging turtles. Plus, it wasn't too long after that, I pooped them all off and went with live plants instead.

I've also weighted the plants with rocks. That helped keep them stationary in my turtle tanks.

Do you have good lighting? What if you put water hyacinth in the tank? It'll have pretty plants above the water and a floating root system below. That was on my "to try" list but I left CA before I could do it.
I have some plants tied to the big acrylic log with nylon fishing line. Those stay in place just fine.
My light is not great- I had some water wisteria in there and it died quickly. I also have a moss ball in there and it seems to be doing fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Try the little AMAZON sword plants.
They have runners that shoot out from the roots that make other whole amazon swords.
Buy one plant and wind up with dozens. They aren't too particular about lighting, either. And they grow substantial roots.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Try the little AMAZON sword plants.
They have runners that shoot out from the roots that make other whole amazon swords.
Buy one plant and wind up with dozens. They aren't too particular about lighting, either. And they grow substantial roots.
Thanks, Ed!!! I'll give it a try!!! :):):)

Prairie Mom

Although I am content enough with the current set up for my juvenile mud turtle (Jacques), I have bigger plans. In another year or so when he's reached adult size, I plan to move him to a bigger tank that will be beautiful. It'll be more nicely landscaped and will have live plants in addition to the plastic ones. There will be ghost shrimp and a few fish. I'm hoping between lots of plants and a bigger tank, some of the shrimp and fish will be able to hide from him and survive. But even if he eats them, that's OK: they're all just bit players- the turtle is really the STAR of the tank.

I have been trying out different things in his current tank, but I don't think he shares my dreams. He typically digs up the plastic plants and moves them around, so that they are bunched together in a mess. At PetCo I recently found a plastic plant arranged like a mat and had a grid that could be pushed into the sand. I bought it, brought it home, rinsed it off and installed it, figuring he couldn't uproot it. The next morning, this is what I found: View attachment 161166

View attachment 161166
Ba ha ha ha ha!!! I LOVE JACQUES!!!! :<3::<3::<3::<3::D