Sealant

Newbabymama

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Wondering opinions on what to use to seal wood to keep moisture out. There is obviously flex seal and wood sealants but are these safe to use for tortoises especially considering that the sealants will be exposed to heat which typically causes chemicals to release. Ill be making an enclosure for my sulcata. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wondering opinions on what to use to seal wood to keep moisture out. There is obviously flex seal and wood sealants but are these safe to use for tortoises especially considering that the sealants will be exposed to heat which typically causes chemicals to release. Ill be making an enclosure for my sulcata. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks
What are we talking about here? Indoor closed chamber, outdoor night box? What size sulcata?

Newbabymama

Kansas
What are we talking about here? Indoor closed chamber, outdoor night box? What size sulcata?
It's a tiny hatchling currently but will eventually use it as a night box. My thinking is to use it as an enclosed enclosure now and eventually as a night box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a tiny hatchling currently but will eventually use it as a night box. My thinking is to use it as an enclosed enclosure now and eventually as a night box.
I tried to use all sorts of things to make both outdoor night boxes, and indoor closed chambers. These are two totally different things to build. You won't be able to re-purpose an indoor closed chamber into an outdoor night box.

For an indoor closed chamber for a baby, you need to make the enclosure out of expanded PVC sheets. They are 4x8 feet and 1/2 inch thick and you can use it like plywood. I have found nothing practical to use indoors. I once used non-toxic low voc boat paint and primer, but that was expensive and it began to wear through as the tortoises gained size and rubbed on it.

I now use "Pond Shield" in my outdoor boxes that I want to keep humid. I suppose you could use that inside, but its not easy to work with, and I don't think it will be pretty. For sulcata in outdoor night boxes, I just leave the interior bare wood and prime and paint the outside with exterior paint. I put water tubs inside the night boxes to add some moderate humidity.

Newbabymama

Kansas
I tried to use all sorts of things to make both outdoor night boxes, and indoor closed chambers. These are two totally different things to build. You won't be able to re-purpose an indoor closed chamber into an outdoor night box.

For an indoor closed chamber for a baby, you need to make the enclosure out of expanded PVC sheets. They are 4x8 feet and 1/2 inch thick and you can use it like plywood. I have found nothing practical to use indoors. I once used non-toxic low voc boat paint and primer, but that was expensive and it began to wear through as the tortoises gained size and rubbed on it.

I now use "Pond Shield" in my outdoor boxes that I want to keep humid. I suppose you could use that inside, but its not easy to work with, and I don't think it will be pretty. For sulcata in outdoor night boxes, I just leave the interior bare wood and prime and paint the outside with exterior paint. I put water tubs inside the night boxes to add some moderate humidity.
Pvc sheeting is a good idea. I was thinking vinyl flooring on top of plywood for the flooring. Plexi glass for the front that will be able to slide open and close. I was worried the plywood would warp from 80+ humidity levels especially on the top (ceiling) of the enclosure. Do you seal the sides of the pvc sheeting with silicone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pvc sheeting is a good idea. I was thinking vinyl flooring on top of plywood for the flooring. Plexi glass for the front that will be able to slide open and close. I was worried the plywood would warp from 80+ humidity levels especially on the top (ceiling) of the enclosure. Do you seal the sides of the pvc sheeting with silicone?
I tried all sorts of different things to cover or treat the wood, but the slightest pin size hole, and the moisture gets in there and ruins the entire thing. I made one in 2015 and used Kilz 2 primer covered by 3 thick coats of DryLok. The bottom literally rotted and fell out. year later.

Expanded PVC changed all of that. Its plastic. It never rots. Its impervious to water and totally non-toxic. Its the same material that PCV water pipes are made from. You can use the same glue as for PVC pipes to hold it together instead of screws.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
As Tom said, PVC glue is what you use to hold it all together. My enclosure was built by my husband and my father, and they used marine caulk to seal the seams around the bottom. It creates a very low maintenance environment. I never worry about humidity.