Sedum

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461429855.609414.jpg I'm not sure exactly what kind of sedum this is but I have plenty of it to transplant some for ground cover in babies' garden, but not sure if it'd be ok in case they decided to have a taste. I know some sedums are not ok. Now my babies don't graze a whole lot, they only recently started chomping on my pansies/petunias/violas and have always loved hunting for the snails, so I don't think there'll be very much grazing temptation (they get plenty of good food in their prepared meals). I'm just looking for different ground over options to make things looking clean and pretty.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My parent's have tons and tons of this stuff too and I was bummed I couldn't use it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No idea what it's called, but I put 5 big ones in my back garden because I like them and he ate every single one to the ground in a day while I was at work.

He's alive, but only because I didn't carry out my threat to kill him. The plant didn't do him any harm. I haven't replanted.

Pearly

5 Year Member
It's this one - Iceplant. Tortoise Table agrees with Joe that it's safe. Don't expect it to last long.

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=196
Thanks! I didn't realize it was called ice plant. I have couple of ice plants that I'm preconditioning to plant in the tort garden but all those are creeping type. I love se dumps bcs of their looks and ease of propagation. That big tall one with pink flowers I take all the pruned off branches with or without flowers and just stick them in the ground, and ... they grow!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There are a number of different plants called ice plant, so check them out individually with Tortoise Table.

The one like that comes in different colours and they're OK, it's things with different leaves you need to watch out for

Pearly

5 Year Member
There are a number of different plants called ice plant, so check them out individually with Tortoise Table.

The one like that comes in different colours and they're OK, it's things with different leaves you need to watch out for
It seems that the broadleaf types are much better and I happen to have a bunch of different ones of that kind