Shade plant recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocflyfish

5 Year Member
Hi all,

We have an area in Leo's (Russian tort) enclosure that only gets 1-2 hours of sun a day. We are trying to come up with ideas of something to plant there that is a shade plant. So far it looks like there is nothing edible that can grow there.

Can someone recommend decorative shade plants that are not toxic to him?

Thanks,
Bryan & Larina

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hostas make good plant for the shade and are not toxic. Also spider plant. My greeks love to hide under the spider plants but tend not to eat much of them.

ocflyfish

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Hostas make good plant for the shade and are not toxic. Also spider plant. My greeks love to hide under the spider plants but tend not to eat much of them.

Thank you!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Oh good! I bought some hostas for Nigel's outdoor enclosure, and I got a panic attack, worrying that they might be toxic to him. I'm glad they are not! So pretty too...they seem hardy as well. Which is always a plus....we are supposed to drop to 25F tonight, so I hope my hostas and all my little tort food sprouts make it ok! ( i covered them as best i could!)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Daylilies (Hemerocallis sp.) are another option.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
I just stated my garden today. Im planting kale, (canelope and tomatoes for me), and grass seed mix. Its caged in to keep deer out and small animals out as well. Im going to cover the top with chicken wire, then I am putting in boards on the sides so I can let wallie romp all day.

So for these shade plants....because where my garden only gets half a day of sun from morning till noon. will shade plants still work?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Pansies are another option for a smaller tort. Mine eat the flowers on occasion. They have flowered non stop since late April when I bought them, very nice.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have 2 Rose of Sharon, same as Hibiscus and both of my plants only get sun until noon. Then they are in the shade and they still put out a lot of blooms. They're just smaller, I also have a big day lillie bush and Bob LOVES the flowers, lots of flowers and it's in the shade. My across the street neighbor cuts her blooms for Bob too...so for about a week he overdoes on day lilies, but be careful because Asiatic lilies, almost the same family as day lilies are toxic. Also I plant pumpkin and squash plants every year and I keep one flower on the vine and feed the rest to Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.