Share your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Borneo
I would love to know the reason why you choose tortoise as your pet.I mean there are plenty pet out there with great personality or appearance,but choose this animal being!!!There must be a good reason,or even beautiful story behind it.Everyone's opinion are welcome...

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Honestly I dont have a moving story. I have always been a small rescue first I did dogs and other mammals but then a neighbor gave me an old desert tortoise and that sparked my interest in reptiles. A wood turtle soon followed, then a beardie, etc. and now I have a large variety of reptiles and all have been taken in as a rescue.

Well I guess they werent all rescues as I did buy the wood turtle from petsmart.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I had my first box turtle as a kid. My big brother brought it home, I never knew where it came from. As an adult it was my daughter that first had a red eared slider given to her. I pretty quickly rehomed it to a friends outdoor pond. Then we purchased her a pair of Russians that I completely fell in love with. And still have almost 20 years later.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I'm a big animal lover in general. The first reptiles I ever met were two Greek tortoises my dad brought home as pets when I was only 2 years old. I have loved turtles and tortoises ever since. :)

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am still trying to figure out why I have been captivated by tortoises. They are not real exciting compared to other animals.My family thinks they are boring & do not understand my interest in them at all.When people visit they are not impressed like they are with my horses or dogs. I am still trying to figure out myself why I have fallen in love with torts. I don't handle them unless they are getting a soak but I enjoy taking care of them & watching them eat.Oh I love to see them sleeping too. Strange as other reptiles eat of course but don't interest me as far as wanting to own them.I also think they are adorable & relaxing. I still have no idea why I enjoy them but I do as I am trying to figure out why I have got the bug.I have always loved all animals but horses,mules,donks,dogs, & torts I am crazy about.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not sure really. First and foremost, I live for dogs. After my canine friends, reptiles are my passion. And turtles and tortoises in particular. I have no idea why. I find reptiles fascinating and love providing them what they need. And the chelonians are my first choice because I love their laid back nature. I do know that as a small child I used to tell people I wanted to be a turtle trainer when I grew up (silly I know). So apparently it was in me from a young age, but I have no idea why.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Huge animal lover, of all kinds. Dogs are my all time number one. I just have always loved animals and as a kid used to catch water turtles and played with them while camping. My neighbors were always able to find box turtles and I never was able to. I always wanted a box turtle/land turtle. Now, too many years later, with the help of the Internet and so many more turtles and tortoises available, I went with the tortoise as I always liked them more then turtles just a little more:D As a kid, I thought the box turtles was a tortoise:D
I have always been fascinated on how old they can be and how they have adapted and survived. When I would see them at zoos, etc, I had to be made to continue on, to the other exhibits. I always wanted to just sit and stare at them. Actually I still do. I also always wanted a large tortoise roaming my yard:) I have many more reasons too. I like to be different and own the not so common. There's more, but that's enough:)

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Walter is my first tort but I have always been an animal rescue for every lost soul. However, Walter (sulcata tort) is by far my greatest rescue and pleasure. Watching his peaceful ways, him sleeping, the way he scampers around his turtle table and every night he falls asleep in my lap brings peace to an otherwise hectic world. God willing, I will have the gift of loving him to the end of my days. I am excited to see his personality develop and am really excited to watch him grow into a happy adult tort. :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The Looney Tunes. The moment Bugs Bunny went to visit his tortoise friend, and they went inside his shell where there was a couch, tv, and a kitchen.........I was mesmerized right from the start as a 5 year old.

Abe

5 Year Member
East Borneo
Thanks for sharing your though guys!! Im getting excited now :)
harris said:
The Looney Tunes. The moment Bugs Bunny went to visit his tortoise friend, and they went inside his shell where there was a couch, tv, and a kitchen.........I was mesmerized right from the start as a 5 year old.
i hope you didnt watch pink panther back then...

Status
Not open for further replies.