SHE NEVER STOPS AMAZING ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Bigred is just an amazing tortoise, she is always pulling something new on me = so here is the story from today. My wife and I and my step daughter were out turning the dirt and getting ready to plant tomatoe plants. There was 3 of us out in the yard with the radio playing and the dog running around and 2 cats. It was not quiet at all, as we are turning the dirt Bigred literally climbs in the middle of what we are doing pushes the shove out of the way and smells the dirt and digs a quick hole and lays 5 eggs. So we got out of her way and let her finish. It was really pretty amazing.... we were all pretty shocked

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now that's a smart tort. Lets you do the hard work of loosening the dirt, so she can just relax and lay her eggs. :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats awesome! How she would just move you out of the way and plant some eggs in your garden. lol

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
My wife and I were cracking up reading this! Great story! Such personalities!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
So are they good eggs?? will you get babies?? How exciting to have an egg garden!!!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Eloise said:
So are they good eggs?? will you get babies?? How exciting to have an egg garden!!!

Ya the eggs will be good, I put them in the incubator for a total of 35 eggs. I have never left them in the ground before but the nest from today would probably have been the perfect opportunity to do that

wellington said:
Now that's a smart tort. Lets you do the hard work of loosening the dirt, so she can just relax and lay her eggs. :D

Thats exactly what she did

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice Ed ....it is amazing how some of the females could care less and not shy about " busting their load" ....The dirt thing is interesting , I too have seen females smell the ground , even pushing others out of the way .... to find that sweet spot. :D

Great story and super info on the " dirt smelling" ... I think we might have a new research paper ...possible Pheromones’ released?

JD~:)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Great story!!!
Big Red is smart!

can't believe your tomatoes growing like that already!!
SIGH-we still have to look at our seed packets and I just noticed we are getting huge heavy flakes of snow -AGAIN!!!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D She just wanted to show you how "real" planting is done.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
Very Nice Ed ....it is amazing how some of the females could care less and not shy about " busting their load" ....The dirt thing is interesting , I too have seen females smell the ground , even pushing others out of the way .... to find that sweet spot. :D

Great story and super info on the " dirt smelling" ... I think we might have a new research paper ...possible Pheromones’ released?

JD~:)

Ya I was pretty curious about wht she did it right where we were turning over the dirt

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
uuuuh, because she f'ng rocks Ed....of course she laid back, soaked in the sun while her humans fluffed the ground for her with those awesome excavators.....ll :D:p;)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I think she's reminding you it's nearly Easter! She's auditioning to be the Easter bunny :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
uuuuh, because she f'ng rocks Ed....of course she laid back, soaked in the sun while her humans fluffed the ground for her with those awesome excavators.....ll :D:p;)

She really is just one of those cool tortoises thats always up to something

Tortoise said:
Great story!!!
Big Red is smart!

can't believe your tomatoes growing like that already!!
SIGH-we still have to look at our seed packets and I just noticed we are getting huge heavy flakes of snow -AGAIN!!!!!!!

We have a couple plants that are about 2 feet high that have green tomatoes on them already. It been 80+ degrees here this week and I started them early. We got so many different kinds of tomatoes this year. We got them from the Fullerton college from the Ag. class

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Great story! Im constantly talking and telling my tortoise stories. Thanks for sharing!

starfield

5 Year Member
What a cool, rare experience! Buy that girl a cuttlefish bone and a mango and fashion them into a mama tort of the year award! Great share!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
starfield said:
What a cool, rare experience! Buy that girl a cuttlefish bone and a mango and fashion them into a mama tort of the year award! Great share!

Very funny, shes worthy of an award

Status
Not open for further replies.